10-09-2006, 01:41 PM
Is this safe?

balton777
10-09-2006, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by DarrenMnaples
Is this safe?

:rofl: :rofl2: :rofl: :rofl2: :rofl: :rofl2: :rofl:

oh...this is serious?

NO...not safe. Kids, don't try this at home.

Seriously though, it's not worth it. I use a damp towel first and dry with a clean towel.

DarrenMnaples
10-09-2006, 04:44 PM
lol :rofl: i love your reply

DogWalker
10-09-2006, 07:56 PM
I use sometimes it but could not responsibly advise it for anyone else on the chance they may not use it the same way. In most circumstances warm water should be enough, but when the glass has gotten particularly greasy (people's hands or whatever) I may spray some on a cloth in the next room, then go and wipe the glass.

I conceded this practise should not be recommended as a general rule, but I think people are a little paranoid about it (which is probably a good thing). Doing it the way I do though, the amount of amonia & other harmful substances that will make it from the rag/outside glass into the air then into the water via the small openings at the back of the canopy is negligible compared to the amonia produced by the fish themselves and any toxins you inadvertenly introduce when you stick your arm in the tank (even if you washed it). I've heard some people even claim the Windex gets absorbed THROUGH the glass (sorry folks - think about that one a bit; your 25-year old unopened bottle of Scotch wouldn't have stayed full those 25 years, would it...).

Used in this fashion, I have never witnessed any ill effects or had any unexplained die-offs. I would never SPRAY Windex in the vicinity of an aquarium though. On that point, a non-fishy household member cleaning the windows in the room where the aquarium is poses more risk.

balton777
10-09-2006, 09:56 PM
It may be ok if your careful like DogWalker. But I fall into the "people are a little paranoid about (which is probably a good thing)" catagory.

Matt V
10-09-2006, 10:40 PM
Mix some white vinegar with tap water.

Great glass cleaner and mostly harmless.

LoJack
10-10-2006, 09:59 AM
Never Ever! ... not worth the risk

Hot water ... or Vinegar like Matt said will work just fine

ATG204
10-10-2006, 10:37 AM
i used to on my convict/JD tank...never had a problem...but after realizing what i was doing i haven't since....its a pretty .....silly...idea

cichlidjax
10-12-2006, 12:07 PM
Compounding on this topic what about all the little air fresheners the girl loves to spray around the house? Seriously air fresheners have been sprayed for quite some time without harmful effects. Maybe I'm just dumb but a little light misting with glass cleaner has never had any harm to my fish. Just don't go full out pulling the trigger all the way. I would think this would especially be not that harmful if you had a canopy over your tank.

Anyway that has been my experience however stupid/lucky I may be.

Matt V
10-12-2006, 04:39 PM
I may be paranoid, but nothing that aerosolizes gets near my tanks. No air fresheners, no glass cleaner, no dusting spray, no febreeze, no cleaning fluids, insecticides etc.

searching around in the "health" forum here will give you numerous examples of environmental poisoning.

Remember also that chemicals like that build up. There may be no harm now, but continued exposure could be very harmful.