PDA

View Full Version : Home-made shrimp mix

matt1066
06-24-2003, 04:58 PM
Hi all,

Rather than add this to the reply section of a post, I though that this would be a good topic for a new thread.

I just read of a shrimp recipe in a previous post, Feeeding.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/food_recipes.php

Basically it is Choped whole shrimp with heads. peas, spiulina powder, multi vita liquid and gelatin.

I have bought in the past frozen prepared feed mixes that are bound by gelatin, and I have found that they foul the water. I would love to be able to mix up a batch and use it, I am sure my fish would love it, but not at the expense of my water quality.

I would love to hear from others; what their opinion is on these types of mixes, and how they deal with the problem of excess nutrients in the water.

Regards

Matt:)

aharris
06-24-2003, 05:09 PM
I made mine as per the recipe only I had to use normal gelatin since I couldn't find vegetable based. I haven't noticed any water issues since I've been using it (weekly water change 30%). I break a small chunk off the main block and I use a blunt knife to shave it up. I don't ever feed very much at any one time. I never feed it more than once per day either. I currently have C. furcifer, J. marlieri, C. leptosoma, and A. stuartgranti all spawning with this mix as their base diet and regular maintainence on the tank.

Next time I do this, I plan to do several things:

1. Use more veggies than just peas.

2. Try using pectin as a gel-base since I found tiny ice-cube trays to freeze it in.

3. Reduce the recipe by half since it made mroe than we had refrigerator space for it to set up. We wasted part of the initial batch.

I also added some garlic to the recipe just in case.

BTW, if you decide to do this be prepared. It made a huge mess, but I consider the results worth it, and it lasts long enough on one batch that the major inconvenience is no worse than spending a day to make a batch of homemade tamales.:lol:

matt1066
06-24-2003, 05:34 PM
What about the shrimp shells?:confused:

merlyn2221
06-24-2003, 08:15 PM
I wouldn't use regular gelatin...do you know what they make that stuff out of?

YUCK!

It's certainly bound to foul the water sooner or later.

aharris
06-24-2003, 11:21 PM
I used the shells, heads, everything. They'll grind up in a blender if you have patience.

Have I mentioned that I vacuum my gravel weekly, too? Maybe that's why I haven't had problems. Furcifer are poo machines, and it just looks bad if I don't vacuum weekly.

I couldn't find any other gelatin to use at the time. Now that I have those mini ice-cube trays, it doesn't matter if it sets up or not, so I can either try pectin or leave out the gelatin entirely.

Yes, I know what it's made of.

I thought about it for a good long while, but there are plenty of web-sites you can go to that swear by the stuff. Most of them are European in origin I think. Since nothing's died and the fish are all spawning, it must be all right so far. Heck, I've never had a wound fungus, and there have been some open wounds since I started feeding it. I'm not 100% sure what you mean about fouled water, but I haven't seen any evidence of it yet (bad color, no spawning, bad water conditions, pollution in the water, disease, etc).

And, of course, things could always change for me . . .

ReesaPie
06-25-2003, 11:10 AM
i halved my first batch that i made of this a few months ago and still have tons. i added braccoli in in addition to peas, but i couldn't find vegi based gelatin either.

i found this was really good for my young cichlids (who were less then an inch at the time) but when you start feeding it to larger cichlids they really make a mess with it.

i'd like to try that spiralina flake recipe though, as i still have tons of spriralina powder left from the shirmp mix experiment.
has anybody made that?

aharris
06-25-2003, 07:05 PM
I haven't noticed a lot of junk on the tank floor and with white substrate everything sticks out.

The furcifer tear the mix up, the cyps dine on what's broken up, and the petricola do an efficient clean-up job overnight on anything left over.

Then I vacuum the substrate weekly.
Maybe I have a good mix of feeding styles that compensates for the mess. :)