PDA

View Full Version : The new energy efficient bulbs

LoJack
10-03-2006, 08:41 PM
I have a question about those new spiral energy efficient compact fluorescent bulbs that screw into normal fixtures. They are all the craze because they use so much energy yet they are just as bright as standard incandescant bulbs.

My question is: When you buy one of those bulbs that says 23W = 100 watt incandescant ( which is more or less saying its just as bright yet it costs less to run ), What is the light output. Is it 23 watts of light, or is it 100 watts of light??

RustyNut
10-03-2006, 09:10 PM
Its equivalent to the light output of a standard incadescent 100w bulb.

I've replaced everything in my house with them except the vanity bulbs in the bathroom. They last longer, so they make up for their higher cost and thier out put is nearly identical to standard shades.

The 6700K "Daylight" bulbs are great for retrofitting those old 5/10/20 gallon hoods that use the screw-in type. Walmart also sell a smaller and dimmer bulb in thier fish section.

RobSplatF4
10-04-2006, 05:50 AM
Rusty's got it. A 15watt spiral fluroescent puts out around 900 lumens compared to a 60 watt incandescent that puts out around 860 lumens. But, the kicker is the fluroscents are rated around 10,000 hours compared to 1000 hours for the incandescent.