PDA

View Full Version : recycleing water/plant fertilizer

Noelemac
06-18-2003, 03:28 PM
I did a search on this topic here and found nothing so I just wanted to post something about it.
FYI I found this after looking up some information about outdoor ponds and reading another forum. A lot of people reuse their water change from their fish tanks on plants for fertilizing. They say the plant gets healthier and greener. They advise not to use the poop on indoor plants cause of the smell but to let it settle at the bottom first and then use the top water. Being that my tanks and my room are on the second floor sounded like a lot of work but we get the water limits during the summer so it sounded like a good idea so I plan to do it as much as I can.

jonah
06-18-2003, 03:31 PM
When I used to drain my tank into the yard the area that got the water was 3 times greener than the rest of the yard. My wife uses tank water for her bamboo plant.

Noelemac
06-19-2003, 05:42 PM
Now I remember this being posted, maybe on one of the forums that crashed. Someone said the grass was greener and someone else said they had a lot of salt in their water and it died I think. oh well. It's good to hear someone say the grass was greener jonah. :)

aharris
06-20-2003, 09:13 AM
My grandma's all over the idea of me carting out siphoned water to her garden if I happen to do a water change just before we leave for her place. She has the greenest thumb of anyone I know; I swear she can resurrect dead plants! If she thinks it's a good idea, I'm incluined to go with her judgement.

chc
06-21-2003, 12:33 PM
Well....................... it's because nitrate is created as the last part of the nitrogen cycle in our tanks. The water you're dumping on the plants is full of nitrates, phosphates, etc............. i.e. plant fertilizer.

Overawed
06-21-2003, 02:20 PM
yep, just be careful not to put too much salt in your tanks ^_~

NyassaeMan
06-23-2003, 12:38 AM
I attach some flex tubing to my pond pump a few times a month and hose down the local fauna. Stuff grows like weeds (course some of it is!) . Although as others said ... excess salt and minerals may damage plants...in which case you dump it on the weeds :-) .