PDA

View Full Version : a job for chc

matt1066
06-13-2003, 02:39 PM
Hi all,

Ok here is one for you. I keep my tanks at 8.2 using Kent additives, but I have found that in order for me to reach that PH, I have to raise my KH to @17-19, my GH is @ 10.

How can I keep my PH at 8.2 without raising my KH so high?

All replies will be appreciated

My tap is PH 7.0, GH 3-4, and KH @ 8

Thanks,

Matt

P.S. Wheres Merlyn?:(

SGypsyMermaid
06-13-2003, 05:25 PM
sounds like a job for chc...try posting your question in 'equipment and water chemistry'.

SGypsyMermaid
06-13-2003, 05:41 PM
re: merlyn http://cichlidforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1953

matt1066
06-14-2003, 05:50 PM
Hi SGM,
Is there a way that I can move the posting without actually going to the category and re-entering it.

That is what I will do, but I thought you might have some special way.

Thanks,

Matt

jonah
06-14-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by SGypsyMermaid
re: merlyn http://cichlidforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1953

Merlyn actually been around a couple of times lately. Hopefully she's feeling better.:)

SGypsyMermaid
06-14-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by matt1066
Hi SGM,
Is there a way that I can move the posting without actually going to the category and re-entering it.

That is what I will do, but I thought you might have some special way.

Thanks,

Matt

done!(she says as she flexes her mod muscles) :cool:

matt1066
06-15-2003, 05:33 PM
Why thank you oh Goddess of the Africans.

Matt

SGypsyMermaid
06-15-2003, 10:07 PM
:rofl: :rofl2: :rofl:

chc
06-16-2003, 03:37 PM
Why would you be working so hard to hit a "specific" water parameter? Even in the wild, there is no such specific parameter. There is a fair degree of variation, but I the case of Africans (i.e. rift lake cichlids) it is generally good enough to target "hard and alkaline." Only in unique.... and I mean truly unique laboratory situations..... is it necessary to be so specific.

IME one of the biggest problems fishkeepers encounter is the result of attempting to modify their water to some artificial parameters.

Where did your fish come from? What were the parameters of the water in which they were spawned.... raised?

If you can simulate, roughly, the basics of the natural environment from which your fish originate you've done well. But if you try over and over to create some sort of artificial environment in an effort to achieve liquid perfection, the stress on your fish will be significant. Just the very fact you have to try to create a certain water type is proof that you will constantly fight the water war!

How about ditching the chemicals, utilize natural materials to buffer your water (gravel, rocks), and store water change water with similar buffers. Even better, what is the quality of your tap water. The best deal is to fit your fish to your water!!!!!

Think about it!

matt1066
06-25-2003, 05:46 PM
Hi chc, thought about it.

My tap is 7.0, GH 3, KH 7.

I have found a way to obtain my desired values, which are;

PH 8.2, GH 8ish, KH 12ish. ish=1 degree either way.

I am using Kent Chemistry, Buffer, Plus. I have found out how to balance this.

The reason I use the mixes is that I have a 125G that I do 85% water changes weekly. No amount of calcareous material will give me the adjustments I seek in a short period of time.

I am actually fond of trying to duplicate the native waters of even domestic raised fish, I find they color up and behave in a more natual way.

If I tried to fit my fish to my water I'd be raising tetra's or S. Americans which don't interest me. I find adjusting my water parameters to Malawi conditions rewarding(actually). I also have had great success with it as my tanks will show.

1 death in 3 yrs and that was bloat, not counting the few jumpers I had. But now I find myself getting on the defensive, sorry

Regards,

Matt:sygypsy: :sygypsy: :sygypsy: :sygypsy: :sygypsy: