PDA

View Full Version : Digital Toys

ATG204
09-08-2006, 09:10 PM
ive been looking on ebay for digital thermometers and maybe even a digi pH tester. the ones i see locally are outragously priced.

does brand really matter when it comes to these? what should i be looking for?

also curious if those seachem ammonia/nitrate warning things work. you just put them in the aquarium and it warns you have high levels. i want to try one but again...$$$

Northernblades
09-09-2006, 11:02 AM
yeh there expencive.. drops are just easier.

ATG204
09-09-2006, 11:06 AM
yeah you're probably right. i have a bunch of nutrafin test kits. i like toys though:rolleyes:

the pH testers on ebay are moderatly priced, usually starting at about 25 bucks. still im just not too sure what i should be looking for.

with digital thermometers is it a good idea to get a submersible one? are the chances of electrocuting the fish high?

Northernblades
09-09-2006, 12:40 PM
oops double post.
you want expencive? start looking at the "important" digital testers.
amonia, nitrite, nitrate. then you can start choking and sputtering.

ATG204
09-09-2006, 01:44 PM
now now, im not looking to WASTE money, i would just find a digital read out more helpful than a colour comparison chart, taking into factors such as printing (never 100% reliable when it comes to color matching) and lighting effects which may also skew what it is you're actually looking at.

i think the only digital tester i would need is the pH as my test kit is only mid range. they dont feel one hundred percent accurate. i have a cycled tank so other testers are pretty much useless except the nitrate....but i do so many water changes....even that one is unnecessary

Northernblades
09-09-2006, 02:13 PM
you know, once the tank is set up. there is realy no need to test ph anyway. unless something gowes awry, I dont; bother.

I test hardness once a month, make sure nothing has gone awry, and have never seen any variation in ... several years.

I test ph when adding new strange rocks, or if something goes wrong, but in general... not going to do anythign about it anyway, so why worry. well buffered watter, shodl nto be seening much of a ph fluctuation anyway.

Nitrates are realy the only test I do every week.and it woudl be sweet, to have a reedout down with my temp, telling me nitrates. and if that going to be there why not just go multi?

but this here is what I want.
http://www.fishlab.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=4

or maybe this is more your cup of tea

LaMotte Smart Colorimeter

ATG204
09-09-2006, 02:57 PM
yikes! thats slightly more than a months earning lol would be an amazing tool to own though

Northernblades
09-09-2006, 03:01 PM
I would say in general for the average joe, the digital reedouts are too great a expence. there is also a all in wonder computer thing available to a salt water tank, but do not know if it even works for fresh water.of all the things to burn money on. thats not top of my list.

ATG204
09-09-2006, 07:49 PM
the most ideal digital thingamabob is for reef tanks. those controllers which you can program to monitor and maintain your tank. pretty awesome

i've settled on getting a marina digital thermometer which i can program to give an alert is the temp goes to high/low. you can schedule filter changes/water changes etc, i probably wont even use that feature but i guess its good to have.

balton777
09-09-2006, 09:35 PM
Maybe I'm lazy but I almost never test for anything. Every few months I might think about it and do the tests or if something seems fishy (pardon the pun) in the aquarium. I just do my water changes regularly and never had a problem. Maybe I change my water too often, am I supposed to wait unitl nitrates, nitrites ammonia etc get high? The toys are cool but I feel they're a waste of $. I guess the thermometer with the alert for too high/low is a good feature maybe worth paying for in case of a heater malfunction. The $495 test seems like a RIPOFF, that equates to over $600 U.S. dollars I think. Certainly not at the top of my list either.

roger3245
09-16-2006, 08:38 AM
If you need a thermometer, why not go to a petsmart or other petstore and just buy one of those flat ones that you stick to the glass.

balton777
09-16-2006, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by roger3245
If you need a thermometer, why not go to a petsmart or other petstore and just buy one of those flat ones that you stick to the glass.

Originally posted by ATG204
yeah you're probably right. i like toys though:rolleyes:

um....cuz she likes toys?

ATG204
09-16-2006, 03:15 PM
probably just because i dont feel like its accurate....i always forget.... is the square thats blue the correct temp or the square thats green?

those squares are placed at every 2 degrees anyway...whats that supposed to tell you?

its nice to know your tank is at 80.5*F not somewhere between 80-82...

Northernblades
09-18-2006, 12:16 PM
now the digital thermomiter there is a cheep toy worth having. I use standard mercury thermomiters, or digital, the sticums are USELESS.

Northernblades
09-18-2006, 12:20 PM
I use one that uses a prob,and leave the probe in the sump, with readout at the bottom of the tank, between sump and tank. I don;t know about the drop in thermomiters, I try to keep as little in the tank as possible.