PDA

View Full Version : Heater Blew Up

Keyser_Soze
06-13-2003, 10:32 AM
I got a call at 7:30 this morning with some crazy news. A friend was cleaning his tank and had just filled it up when he heard a loud pop . It turned out to be his heater had exploded and blew out the back glass on his 75 gallon tank. Has anyone else ever had this happen or even heard of it? all the fish were rescued and i think there was only one fatality. The LFS was kind enough to offer some tank space for a few days. What a way to wake up on friday morning.

Rudy
06-13-2003, 11:07 AM
That storey is incredible! I have never heard of a heater breaking the tank glass. Does he know how the heater blew? did a fish hit it?

NyassaeMan
06-13-2003, 11:34 AM
Wow! :jaw:

Nope, that is a new one to me. :eeek:

Overawed
06-13-2003, 11:51 AM
That is incredible! Did he turn the heater off before the water change? Also, you are supposed to wait 30 minutes for the heater's thermostat to get used to the new temp. What brand heater was it?

I am moving to the equipment section for better response.

Keyser_Soze
06-13-2003, 12:16 PM
I know he unplugged it before he did the change. I do not know if he waited 30 minutes though. I know that his pacu has been going crazy lately. THat thing has doubled in size in the last month. Maybe all his crazy antics weakened the heater.

Rudy
06-13-2003, 01:39 PM
You should tell him in the future to get a heater guard. I have large cichlids and before I discovered these I replaced a lot of heaters and got shocked a lot. I still can't believe it broke the tank though!

Keyser_Soze
06-13-2003, 02:37 PM
I told him to get a guard many times. He has been trying to get rid of the pacu and i think he was hoping to have it gone before it could break the heater. Hey anyone want a Pacu? It is beautiful as far as a pacu goes.

EcoMarine
06-14-2003, 06:46 PM
Perhaps the heater was touching the substrate or maybe in direct contact with the glass... Ive heard of them blowing out a chunk if its touching the bottom of the gravel or sand..

Keyser_Soze
06-14-2003, 10:18 PM
Actually it was touching the gravel i believe. I didn't know that it would blowup that way. There is a store about 45 minutes from here that has all their heaters like that. Strange. Thanks for the info.