PDA

View Full Version : Python or not? - another Python thread.

DogWalker
09-03-2006, 09:31 AM
Rather than hijack someone else's thread...

I am curious to know whether a python would save me enough work to bother with. In my case the main aquarium room is next to my heated garage, which has a decent size sump in the floor drain, so I just remove the drain cover and syphon straight from the tank into the drain, using a good quality, clean hose. The height difference is about 6', which gives reasonably good suction for cleaning substrate (and any that accidentally gets sucked up just ends up in the sump, to be cleaned later - no harm. This part I would actually see as a plus over the python).

To refill I just take the end of the hose from the floor drain and screw it onto the faucet in the garage, no special attachments needed. The negative part here is that temperature control is trickier, with anything from 1 to 3 gallons of hot water needing to be added gradually to the largest tank along with the flow of cold water. (This adds about 5 minutes to the job, but doesn't seem to have harmed the fish.)

Been doing this for a few months now and all is well. It has cut the time in half over the gravel washer & bucket method, and eliminated almost all of the lifting. What do you folks think - "Stop being cheap and get a Python"? or "don't bother, you're already getting most of a Python's benefits"?

Chewy
09-03-2006, 11:08 AM
in your case don't bother with the python your system works better than most pythons.

Steve C
09-03-2006, 11:35 AM
Are you draggin the hose back to the faucet to get the temp right or are you running back and forth?

The only benefit of the python I would see is the pump at the faucet. You can open the bottom, get the temp right, then close it to fill the tanks.

LoJack
09-03-2006, 11:37 AM
the only reason that I would consider it is because of the temp change of the new water being added. Sounds like there is a lot of room for error while working with some hot and some cold and hoping for a mix thats the same temperature already in the tank. If you already have a garden hose at home ... you can make a python for $5 ... its called a waterbed drain and refill kit from wal mart.

You could still siphon water out the same way, which clearly has its advantages, and use the new system to make sure the new water is th esame temp as the old water

DogWalker
09-03-2006, 01:21 PM
...and get the best of both worlds! Makes good sense, I'll look for the part. Thanks for that suggestion.

Rob D
10-17-2006, 05:07 AM
Saw this and had to ask. If you add chemicals to a tank what would be the best way to get them in the tank when refilling with the python? Would you fill to within 5 gal with the python then use one bucket with the amount of chemicals needed for the amount of water taken out? Right now I use the python to clean and a bucket to fill adding chemicals to each bucket. It's only one room away from the bathroom but 6-7 buckets gets heavy after a while

oshp132
10-17-2006, 05:13 AM
I'm a new Python owner. I've had fish most of my life and this is my first....I love it. As for the chemicals, I open my water treatment chemical and have it sitting on top of my aquarium as I am filling it. Then, every couple of minutes I just add a couple drops. I've not had any problems by doing it this way. My Python was the best investment I've made in a while.
MIKE

Rob D
10-17-2006, 07:16 AM
Thanks. I quess I'll fill to within 5 gall with the python and add the chemicals to 1 bucket at the end. I add epsom salt, baking soda, cichlid salt, and the de-chlorinator. I can live with 1 bucket. I have had 2 shoulder re-constructions and 6-7 or more buckets would have me in tears by the time I was done.

DarrenMnaples
10-17-2006, 07:49 AM
iwould add the dechlorinater first not last

Rob D
10-17-2006, 08:38 AM
It will not harm the fish to add that amount of dechlorinater to the water just before the tank is filled? I wish there was a way to add the chemicals to the water inline as it filled.

Glaive
10-17-2006, 11:24 AM
When I clean the 30 gallon I dump the conditioner straight in and start pumping tap water directly. Some of the stupid fish have tried to swim up the python and my area chlorinates rather heavily.

Many dechlorinators on the market contain healthy additives.

Steve C
10-17-2006, 11:42 AM
Adding Prime or whatever else you use right away won't harm anything. It works instantly so what I do is empty the 25% or so from all my tanks, then dose them then start filling. My fish are much like Glaive's, they love playing in the new stream of water, and STL water is pretty chlorinated. I've not had a problem doing it this way.