PDA

View Full Version : Python's a godsend!!

oshp132
09-01-2006, 09:50 PM
I broke in my python today....Can't believe I've waited this long to use one....I don't think I'll be without one again.
MIKE

balton777
09-01-2006, 10:58 PM
THE PYTHON ROCKS!!!!! JYEAH BOYIEEE!!!!!

LoJack
09-01-2006, 11:28 PM
I made my python ... and it works so great

I used a hot water hose rather than your standard garden hose, so when you are sucking water out, the hose doesn't compress, and you lose no suction at all ... those few extra dollars on a solid hose were the best investment I think I may have ever made in my aquariums.

balton777
09-01-2006, 11:34 PM
So Lojack, you just stuck the hot water hose onto an existing "mouth" part of a python?

LoJack
09-02-2006, 02:14 AM
nope, made it from scratch.

I bought a water bed drain and refill kit, attached a hot water hose to it, and voila ... I've got a python for a fraction of the price of the lfs. Its the same attachment, except mine is blue instead of the green one that comes with the python.

LoJack
09-02-2006, 02:16 AM
This picture is the piece that attaches to the sink. Its a $4 part from the wal-mart domestics section.

Attached to that is the hot water hose ... any garden hose would work, but they are soft, and they bend and kink really easily and flow is greatly reduced when draining the tank. The hot water hose has absolutely no give, and you get a clean direct path the entire time.

LoJack
09-02-2006, 02:18 AM
this next pic is just showing you that I added an even smaller piece of hose to the end of the hot water hose. The smaller the hose, the more concentrated the suction ... and therefore much much easier to pick everything up. I would recommend it to everyone ... the smaller the tip, the greater the suction.

If you have a bigger hose, you will drain your water way too fast, and won't get enough cleaning done. With the small hose you have the ability to vacuum the bottom of the entire tank in a single water change without removing too much water ... a great modification for anyone who really loves a clean tank

oshp132
09-02-2006, 09:25 AM
Looks like a lot of work to me....I made mine too!!! I swiped my Vegas.com Visa card and it took me about 5 seconds! Very happy with it....

MIKE

LoJack
09-02-2006, 09:41 AM
yup, they're great ... there is no doubt about it. One of the best investments you can make for your tanks

DarrenMnaples
09-02-2006, 10:24 AM
i live on the third floor of my apartment building i use a siphonethat i got at my lfs and drain it in to 1 gallon milk and icetea jugs then fill them up in the sink 1 gallon at a time takes me 30 - 45 min. for a water change:bawl:

LoJack
09-02-2006, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by DarrenMnaples
i live on the third floor of my apartment building i use a siphonethat i got at my lfs and drain it in to 1 gallon milk and icetea jugs then fill them up in the sink 1 gallon at a time takes me 30 - 45 min. for a water change:bawl:

I can do all 6 of my tanks in that amount of time ... and two of them are 150 gallons, and I do about 40% out of every tank.

Invest in a python, I promise you won't regret the decision

No more messes, no splashing, no more mouthfuls of fish water when siphoning

DarrenMnaples
09-02-2006, 12:29 PM
what does it do screw into your sink?????.how do you treat the water??

LoJack
09-02-2006, 12:33 PM
yup it screws into your sink ... and you treat the tank ... rather than just the new water. Works effectively.

Treating bucketed water before entering the tank vs. treating the water after it has been added is kinda contraversial on any forum. You have firm believers that think you need to treat the water before it gets into the tank ... and then those (like me) who have been doing this for well over a year and have never run into a problem.

DarrenMnaples
09-02-2006, 12:38 PM
would you treat it as your adding it or after you fill the tank compleatly or do you put the treatment in first and then fill????
i use prime and it works great instantly from what i can tell what do you use

Steve C
09-02-2006, 12:45 PM
-LoJack Did you use a bulk piece of hot water hose? Ive only seen them as long as 6'. I use my python for filling my tanks, and a bulk piece of 2" vinyl hose that goes to my floor drain and reduced the suction side down to 7/8ths I think, (same size as python)

Darren- you remove the areator on your faucet and it screws on. The python kit comes with all the necessary attachments, I would upgrade to the brass fitting rather than the plastic. After you do your vacuuming and before you start to refill your tank treat it with whatever water conditioner you use. I clean my 6 tanks, dose them with prime, get my water up to temp and start filling. The Prime in the tank works instantly and as long as you aren't hosing down your fish you will be fine. Its also a good idea to get a digital thermometer to keep at your sink to make sure there isn't much difference in water temp between what you are adding and whats in the tank.

Steve C
09-02-2006, 12:48 PM
Matt V got us started on the perils of using a python among others on this thread...Its a funny read

http://www.cichlidforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17653&highlight=python

RustyNut
09-02-2006, 02:22 PM
If you get one of those "mini" stick on digital tank thermometers you can stick it to the neck of your faucet and read the temperature of your water easily.

Works great in the fish room or staionary tubs.... but the wife might not like it on the kitchen sink.... :)

LoJack
09-02-2006, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Steve C
-LoJack Did you use a bulk piece of hot water hose? Ive only seen them as long as 6'.

When you look in the garden hose section, its in there ... I bought mine at 50 feet. Its like a normal garden hose, but designed to run hot water through it ... because all garden hoses say right on them not to run hot water through the hose.

RobSplatF4
09-02-2006, 04:34 PM
Home Depot also sells heavy duty commercial grade hoses next to their garden hoses. We use them at work for hot water.

oshp132
09-02-2006, 07:11 PM
It is unbelievable the amount of time they save. Usually my water change will take about 1 1/2 hrs. Now, I can change the same amount of water in about 15 minutes....I just have the one tank.
MIKE

Steve C
09-03-2006, 01:48 AM
Ahh, thanks guys.