PDA

View Full Version : Rigging up powerheads

Chet
06-11-2003, 02:09 PM
I got four powerheads with my 135. I want to put prefilters on them and use them to circulate water in the bottom of the tank and collect detritus. First, how can I make good prefilters for them? Should I use sponges, or filter floss? Second, how do I fix the powerheads in the position and location I want them? I am thinking about putting 2 at the top corners of the tank, angled down, and 2 in the bottom corner of the tank, pointing out into the middle of the tank. Any ideas or experience would be greatly appreciate.

fOx
06-11-2003, 02:48 PM
Chet... you can buy prefilters for like cheap, cheap at the pet store. I think I got mine for like $10 each and they came with inserts. The one I have are aquaclear, but they fit right onto my Penguin powerheads. They are just filter floss inside a plastic tube. As for setting them up, it's as easy as you described it. Just hang two off the top corners and then rest the other two on the bottom (they are fully submersible). Then tilt the sprayers in the directions you need...

good luck.

fOx

NyassaeMan
06-11-2003, 11:12 PM
this is what I use and have really like the results. The sponges are durable and the pond size (what I use in my 180) can run for a while before needing cleaning...building up some really good bacteria. The bottoms are weighted so you can sit them directly on bottom and cut the riser tube to fit you height requirement.

Nothing high tech here....just a good simple solution.

Also you can remove these sponges and replace the powerheads with a smaller one or an airstone and place them in fry tanks....good free food :dance:

NyassaeMan
06-11-2003, 11:15 PM
Well I can;t edit posts and forgot the URL...guess you will be needing this :oops:

Jehmco (http://jehmco.com/PRODUCTS_/FILTRATION/Hydro-Sponge_Filters/hydro-sponge_filters.html)

Chet
06-12-2003, 11:57 AM
Hey, thanks NM, those look very good and seem quite simple and straightforward. P.S., glad to see you back!