PDA

View Full Version : Good place to buy larger tanks????

KrisG23
06-09-2003, 06:44 PM
Hello all. I am currently in the process of looking for a larger tank... I currently have 40 gallon tank...but I have a sailfin pleco that is evidently on steroids, because it is growing at an amazing rate. I would also like to get into some larger species of cichlids anyway, so this is a good time to do it. My question is, where should I look for tanks. I have read several threads about people purchasing tanks, and the prices seem much lower than anything that I have been able to find. I have been to Petsmart....Petco....and several other lfs...and the average price for even a 55 gallon(long style) tank is 175:jaw: does this seem high....what should I expect to pay for a tank that is 75.....90....or even 120. And where is the best place to look? Any feedback would be great....

Thanks,
Kris

jonah
06-09-2003, 06:51 PM
Petsmart here in OKC sells plain 75g tanks with glass tops and lights for $199, 55g with plastic/glass tops and lights for $99. My suggestion would be to buy the biggest tank you can afford and look in the local classified for a used tank. That's how I bought my first 125g for $200 many years ago. You can save some money by making your own stand.

I think I paid about $550 for my other 125g with glass tops, lights and stand from Petsmart. I bought the equipment online to save some money.

aharris
06-10-2003, 08:42 AM
You might keep your eye on AquaBid.com. Sometimes, you can find a good deal on equipment, but most of the tanks are pickup only.

Local classifieds, like mentioned, are also a place to start.

Sometimes, too, some of the small LFS will have used aquariums on hand, and they will sometimes be substantially cheaper if you can find such a place.

You can also shop online for tanks from aquarium supply sites, but I haven't done that so I don't know uif the deal is that great.

PS - I see you live in Indianapolis. I'll be through there later this summer. Are there any good fish fish stores that I should check out?

EcoMarine
06-14-2003, 06:49 PM
aquabid.com

merlyn2221
06-17-2003, 08:49 PM
Try eBay too.

Also try bigalsonline.com
and ThatFishPlace.com

Acara
06-26-2003, 10:09 PM
www.glasscages.com ... It has to come to your area and it's for pickup only unless you get a plastic tank. anyways these are the bigger tanks and only $1 a gallon! :)

KrisG23
06-27-2003, 02:15 PM
Acara... I went to glasscages.com....and they do have good prices for aquariums....135gal....225$....however....the 1$per foot that you talked about is on acrylic terrariums....Am I missing something...do they have arcylic aquariums...or can the plastic tanks be used for fish....they have a little disclaimer that says the plastic tanks are not to be filled with water....If these tanks can be used for fish...WOW...what a price...plus they can be shipped..please let me now if you have any idea.

aharris
06-27-2003, 02:47 PM
If the site says do not fill, do not fill. Those terrariums are for reptiles and frogs that don't need aquatic habitats but do need to be enclosed.

Still if you could get your hands on it, those prices for the glass tanks look pretty good especially if you do the research and build your own stand.

I'm thinking the 125 wide would be excellent for featherfins.

schmecky
06-27-2003, 09:36 PM
Check your local papers. I find tanks in there ALL the time.

You can also try ebay and try to find auctions in your local area.

Just bought myself a predrilled (with overflow chamber) 150g acrylic tank with stand, hood, and canopy for $250 - not too bad

KrisG23
07-04-2003, 07:39 PM
Wouldn't recommend buying anything from glasscages.com...these people are hands down that rudest people I have ever TRIED to do business with

SGypsyMermaid
07-05-2003, 10:33 AM
maybe you caught them on a bad day...the guy that i dealt with was pleasant...or maybe i just caught them on a good day.

chc
07-09-2003, 07:03 AM
If you are looking for any tank of a "stock design" (usually 220 or less) it is usually cheaper to purchase it locally (though that may take a little shopping around). The shipping on anything big can murder you ($1,000 plus is not uncommon) while the shops pay by the truckload (whether one or 100 tanks).

Shipping tanks it rough too. For instance, I just took receipt of a good sized tank (300) and a 5' long sump. The total weight of the shipment was 1400 pounds. The tank was too long to fit sideways on the truck, so a forklift had to use extra long forks to remove it since it would not fit on the truck's lift gate. No moving company ever wants to mess with such things (too much risk for too little $) so it is necessary to get a team of friends together the move it to its stand (about 6-8 people).

Also, anything wider than two feet (in either width or height) won't fit into most houses.

Your best bet for very big tanks (500 and up) is to build them in place.

conig
07-23-2003, 09:30 AM
I was told by my local petco that the only difference between a reptile tank and fish tank was the design. reptiles being shorter and wider. and being tempered glass so you can drill into them.

is glass better then acrylic? I would honestly prefer acrylic.

matt1066
07-23-2003, 05:20 PM
I purchased my 125g w/hood, and strip light for 399-stand 159

I thought that was good. It was at Pet Supermarket.

Matt

ganja
02-13-2008, 08:33 PM
i suggest you check out craigslist. you can find a complete 100g tank for $100 if you're lucky. i saw a complete 55g tank with fish for free last week.. too bad i called too late >_<

DogWalker
02-13-2008, 09:13 PM
Psst! check out the date on the top of the posts :wink:

Murky Waters
02-13-2008, 10:03 PM
:lol2::lol2::lol2:

I was actually gonna reply that I prefer glass over acrylic, only because I had an acrylic tank and it got scratched to hell trying to clean it, whereas glass, wouldn't have made a difference....

But... nevermind...

:lol2::lol2::lol2:

Larry
02-13-2008, 10:42 PM
sorry had to say that was pretty funny!!!:oops:

crazyfishlady
02-14-2008, 06:02 AM
This thread is 5 years old. I'm guessing he bought the tank already. Always good to check post dates.....