PDA

View Full Version : UV Sterilizer suggestions please

bonellyj
08-27-2006, 05:45 PM
Hello All,
I've been pondering w/ the option of introducing an UV Sterilizer on all my tanks for disease control as well as algae control(on my community tank). I know that cichlids are grazers and have actually enjoyed noticing this habit rescently. My question is, would my cichlids benefit from the UV setup, or will they actually be deprived since algae build up will be little to none.

Please let me know your opinions as it would greatly help me understand my tank's needs.

ps. I was also thinking of using the UV sterilizer as a precaution once a month for a week straight and leave it turned off for 3 weeks in order to build up algae again.

parhaam
08-27-2006, 05:54 PM
yes,i 'm agree with the second opinion and already i'm doing it.

bonellyj
08-27-2006, 07:25 PM
Hello parham:
you mean "using the UV sterilizer as a precaution once a month for a week straight and leave it turned off for 3 weeks in order to build up algae again" ???

parhaam
08-28-2006, 05:40 AM
not exactly,the peiode of time isnot important just any time that you felt that your tank is going to risky condition or any time that bad smell of algae bothers you(i've a very strong sense of smell),etc...use it for some hours...that quite depends on the power of uv and ofcourse to it's design.
mine is a chinease 11W and isnot too bad...i use it around 10-12 hours for a 100 liters tank.