PDA

View Full Version : Water Change



KrisG23
06-05-2003, 10:10 AM
I have a question about changing the water in my tank. Does anyone know if it is safe to use purified water purchased from the store, or water that is filtered through a home filter such as a Brita, or do these waters still have to be treated to remove chlorine/chloramine???

Overawed
06-05-2003, 10:56 AM
Wow using purified water from a store will be quite expensive. A brita filter should be safe enough, you will still have to treat the water though as a precaution.

fOx
06-05-2003, 11:19 AM
I don't think that brita takes the chlorine out of the water... it just "polishes" it with a carbon filter. You will still to add tap water conditioner (ie: aqua-safe) to your water before adding it to your tank.

Forget about the store bought stuff, they get their water from the same tap yours comes from.

fOx

aharris
06-05-2003, 12:35 PM
What are you keeping?
What's in your local water supply?

Unless you have something really toxic in your tap water and/or you're keeping something that requires a pH vastly different fromt eh values in your local water supply, I wouldn't bother with special water. I'd just treat what comes out.

That's why I have all Africans now. My tap water has a pH of 8.6, so to keep anything else, I'd have to probably buy an RO unit.

chc
06-07-2003, 04:21 PM
Try the Brita water by taking a sample to a lfs and having them test for chlorine, etc.

matt1066
06-15-2003, 05:38 PM
I dont know what size tank you have or how much water you change at a time, but the Brita filter is not effective for long-you will need to constantly replace the filter if you are changing large quantities of water.

What are your readings out of the tap? You can also call your water company and they can send you an analysis. I et one twice a year.

Regards,

Matt

merlyn2221
06-15-2003, 10:04 PM
Brita does take out most of the chlorine (I just tested my pitcher), but not the chorlamines.

Bag the special water. It's a pain. Like aharris said, if your tap water isn't toxic, it's easier to use that.

My water bills are already high from millions of weekly water changes, if I bought water too, forget it! My fish and I would be living on a park bench somewhere.