PDA

View Full Version : advice needed.

yanyon_29
08-14-2006, 01:03 AM
Ok i dont know if this is the right board to post this but ill post it anyway.

im planning to redecorate my 60 gal tank from gravel to playsand. i have a fluval 404 and an emperor 280 and a jebo powerhead running right now. my question is, what steps do i take when changing gravel to sand and what other tank parts do i need to buy inorder to get this setup done.

thanks for future advice guys, i appreciate it already.

DogWalker
08-14-2006, 03:19 AM
Some useful info: http://cichlidforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7996&highlight=Switching+to+Sand

balton777
08-14-2006, 08:33 AM
You could learn from my experience, I had to do it twice. You should go to a pool supply store and get a high quality sand. I originally used a low priced pool filter sand from the home depot and it was a bad experience. I cleaned and cleaned but it was still cloudy and every time it got stirred up by fish or anything it would float in the water, the particles were too small. So I replaced it with some 20 grade quartz sand from Leslies pool supply and the difference is night and day. I only had to rinse it a few times to get it clean. The sand itself is far more pretty and it sinks immediately whenever it gets stirred up. Do yourself a favor. I paid $10 for each 50lb bag opposed to $4 but it is money WELL spent, the water is clean and clear.

yanyon_29
08-14-2006, 05:18 PM
Will i need an undergravel filter for this setup even if i already have 2 good filters + 1 powerhead ?

jennigypsy
08-14-2006, 05:35 PM
one point- as I have recently learned the hard way-sand is terribly hard on your filter impellers....

I thought I was careful in avoiding sand getting in the impeller ...but, apparently I wasn't careful enough...
I was wondering where the water was coming from, thinking my tank was leaking...it wasn't. The filter was. Sand had actually worn a groove clear thru the plastic housing...hopefully I can seal it somehow...and thankfully I was home when it happened!
Just be careful...you may be better to use bigger grit sand than the fine stuff...it tends to fly around when the fish get feisty.

yanyon_29
08-14-2006, 06:45 PM
So Jenny, your pretty much telling me that i should buy an undergravel filter to prevent water filter damage correct ?
I just wanna make sure what im doing so that things come out runnin ok.

balton777
08-14-2006, 06:51 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by yanyon_29
Will i need an undergravel filter for this setup even if i already have 2 good filters + 1 powerhead ?

No.

And as JG said reiterates my point. It really is better to use a larger grade sand. Whenever the fish stir it up, your filters will suck alot of it up if it's a real fine grade.

jennigypsy
08-14-2006, 07:06 PM
it almost looks like a dust trail out of the old west when the sand is really fine...
...and then, your filter will battle it out with the sand-in the OK corral...
...and lose.

yanyon_29
08-14-2006, 07:31 PM
Sorry about that, i guess i didnt read the message clearly. well thats good news for me then. atleast i dont have to spend more money and it should be easy to make the switch. as long as i follow the directions propperly.

Thanks so much for the advice Jenny and Balton. I really appreciate it.

Rex Karr
08-14-2006, 07:33 PM
You can't use sand with an ugf unless you start customizing the filter. Do you really want to put panty hose over your filter? Stick with your current filters and use a larger sand.

fish speaker
08-14-2006, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by balton777
You could learn from my experience, I had to do it twice. You should go to a pool supply store and get a high quality sand. I originally used a low priced pool filter sand from the home depot and it was a bad experience. I cleaned and cleaned but it was still cloudy and every time it got stirred up by fish or anything it would float in the water, the particles were too small. So I replaced it with some 20 grade quartz sand from Leslies pool supply and the difference is night and day. I only had to rinse it a few times to get it clean. The sand itself is far more pretty and it sinks immediately whenever it gets stirred up. Do yourself a favor. I paid $10 for each 50lb bag opposed to $4 but it is money WELL spent, the water is clean and clear.

That is EXACTLY what I experienced, and I only use Leslie's now, too. The guys at the local store wonder why I'm in there buying supplies all the time, even though I don't have a pool... :D

yanyon_29
08-14-2006, 09:41 PM
thanks Rexx and Fishspeaker for your added advice. ill just stick with the current accessories i have. i will definitely go to leslie's and check out the sand you guys have mentioned.

thank you thank you... :D :ok:

yanyon_29
08-14-2006, 09:50 PM
ok, i called leslie's earlier and asked about pool sand. unfortunately the guy didnt know what i was talking about. but now that balton described it as 20 grade quartz sand then im sure i will be ok at this point.

thanks again guys for the helpful and important advices ive received here. this is one of the reasons why i have continued to be in this hobby. you guys with more experience make it a point that for novices like me get all the help in everyway possible (even if the fishes i keep arent as diversed as other species that you guys keep) and i have enjoyed it from the moment i got back into the hobby 2 1/2yrs ago.

fish speaker
08-14-2006, 09:59 PM
Call if "filter sand" and they'll know what you are talking about (it is made for use in pool filters). Get the "plain" version, with no additives.

If it weren't so late, I would snap a pic of the bag and post it. :D

balton777
08-14-2006, 11:05 PM
Good thinking fishspeaker. Here it is.

yanyon_29
08-15-2006, 12:41 AM
thanks balton... thanks fish speaker.... im sure i wont make any mistake after seeing the picture on what i need to get. thanks for all your help guys.