PDA

View Full Version : Using gallon "jugs"

Tampa
08-13-2006, 08:15 AM
For water changes etc I use the gallon "jugs" that you buy water in from the supermarket. I am trying to stock up on these jugs for a move. My question, can I use the gallon jugs that HAD iced tea in them if I rinse them out (no soap) well?

jonah
08-13-2006, 08:16 AM
I don't see how that could be a problem if they're rinsed out really well.

SIlax
08-13-2006, 09:12 AM
i use the gallon jugs from the ice cream store the like 5 gallon jugs they work well u just have to make sure they are rinsed out really well and let them soak for awhile before using them to make sure that they dont have any ice tea crystals hiding in any small cracks or crevices

Northernblades
08-13-2006, 10:19 AM
I go to a place that sells "culigan" ask for damaged jugs. you can get the good ones with water from safeway, and not return for deposit (14$) or ask for scratched ones 1$ or free. a small hole between the handeel, and spout, facilitates pouring. I love my culigan jugs. but I can admit, the ucket brigade thing is getting old.

Glaive
08-13-2006, 02:16 PM
Yep a decent rinse should be good enough.

jesse 1420
08-13-2006, 02:30 PM
i use a home depot 5gal. buckit for the old water.i use a 20gal. plastic bin and use a water pump to pump the new water back in the tank.the only lifting i do is when i dump the old water and when i fill the 20gal bin with freshwater.easy:D

RustyNut
08-14-2006, 10:59 AM
Good Idea! Everyone seems to forget that an extra hobby pump of around 500gph can really help doing water changes.... (I've used this method too)

A Mag 5 pump (or similar) with the sponge pre-filter and a long hose works great to pump water from your tank to your toilet/sink (Toilets lids work great for holding the hose in place) and you can pump about 8g a minute! Then mix up your new water in a 30g plastic garbage can or rubbermaid tub and pump it back to the tank! No more heavy lifting!!!!

Obviously this isn't needed on tanks 55g or smaller.... On a 55 three 5g buckets should be ample for most water changes, and not much more work that using a pump etc.

You can get smaller pumps (Mag 3 comes to mind) but usually they lack enough pressure to pump uphill 4ft over the tank rim...