PDA

View Full Version : bad smelling bio media

ATG204
08-09-2006, 06:02 PM
my AC wasn't running for a couple days. today we pulled it apart and got the motor running again....should i start wtih all new media? this stuff smells really bad...would charcoal make it peachy again or is this really bad for the tank?

ATG204
08-09-2006, 06:44 PM
any ideas? almost done water change

thanks guys

cichgirl
08-09-2006, 06:57 PM
I'd get new media. There's a lot of breaking down material in a dead filter. What you probably smell is ammonia. If you have another seeded filter running you should be alright.

Glaive
08-09-2006, 08:11 PM
What do you mean by bad? Everyone has a different deffinition. Is it an earthy peat type smell or a harsh nasty smell?

If it it an earthy peat smell then vigorously rinse ina bucket of tank water. If it is the other then do as Cichgirl says.

ATG204
08-09-2006, 08:50 PM
sorry for being so vague

yeah it was a harsh nasty smell, not earthy at all

now that you say ammonia that makes a lot of sense...i washed everything out with tap water to kill the smell, added a new carbon and will get new sponge/bio media tomorrow. there is an already seeded filter still running on the tank so its really not an issue ive just been running to the store constantly

plus that was really rank, nasty, :rolleyes:

Vert
08-13-2006, 07:56 AM
When a canister filter is left unplugged for a good amount of time it is said to become anerobic. What I suppose this means is that all the oxygen is used up and the bacteria inside proably dies leading to decomposition, ammonia spike etc. It would not be a good idea to turn a filter back on that has become anerobic without first cleaning it thouroughly. However I dont see why you couldnt reuse the reusable media so long as it is washed thouroughly. But of course its safer to replace.

Glaive
08-13-2006, 02:16 PM
Anerobic means that there was no oxygen in the environment. If bacteria were to colonize in such an environment it would produce H2S as a bi product which is nasty stuff. Safer to just toss the media as I am sure the fish are worth more than a few sponges.