PDA

View Full Version : 75 gal(new fish)

meeki
08-02-2006, 08:45 PM
Today I got 3 giant danios for my 75 gal aquarium. The aquarium is bare at the moment besides the gravel, but the danios seem to love the large tank. The next fish I will be getting for it are 3 to 4 severums but they will be narrowed down to 2 when I get a pair. I am also going to get 3 to 4 clown loaches but I may not if the 75 gal is to small. SO the 75 gal will have:
3 giant danios
2 severums
3 or 4 clown loaches

Will this be ok for a 75 gal or will I have to take the clown loaches off the list. If yes would some corys be a good choice?Thanks!

Glaive
08-12-2006, 07:16 PM
Update and a bump:

Seems meeki has in mind to go with one Sev and 5 clown loaches in a 75 gallon tank.

Does anyone with experience have any thoughts on possible additions?

crazyfishlady
08-12-2006, 07:19 PM
Sounds good. The loaches may eventually get too big, but it will take years. I'd go 5 or 6 for the danios & for the loaches. Schooling fish prefer bigger groups.

Thanks Glaive.

jennigypsy
08-12-2006, 07:30 PM
i think that sounds like a great tank...the sev should be happy with that set up.

meeki
08-12-2006, 07:31 PM
Yeah, I think that will go well both for the sev and the others, thanks for the input guys!

autoxevo
08-12-2006, 09:35 PM
I would try to buy more sev's if you're looking to score a breeding pair. I used to try buyin 2-4 fish and hoping/forcing a maiting pair, its MUCH easier to start with 6-12 juvi's and let them sort it out. Yes, it may cost more right now, but you can always sell the rest later, and they'll be bigger, so you sholdnt lose much if any money. Try ordering online, you can get numbers like that pretty cheap.

Northernblades
08-12-2006, 10:18 PM
getting more now, will also ensure you get the most dom male/female.

and we talked about the loaches in the chat. the more the merier. 4 MInimum. unless 2 pair off from the rest (it can happen) leading to 2 small unhappy schools. as I say I like to keep 5, 6 is Ideal.. and it would take 5-6 loaches 5+ years to outgrow that tank, maybe longer

balton777
08-13-2006, 12:03 AM
Hi Meeki that sounds like a nice setup. I have 4 sevs (2male/2 female) and 3 clown loaches but instead of giant danios, I have 4 congo tetras (2male/2female) a gold nugget pleco.

ATG204
08-13-2006, 01:33 AM
clown loaches do get big but as CFL mentioned it will take a long time. IMO, the greatest of the loach fam, fabulous fish. i would personally go with more clown loaches...by the time they get big you could sell half & make some decent money too.

LoJack
08-13-2006, 01:13 PM
yup, people will pay big bucks for big clown loaches.

meeki
08-13-2006, 04:13 PM
Just got the Severums today, I kept thinking about it and I bought 4 instead of 1 because I wanted to breed them, I will get rid of the others when 2 pair off. I got the Green Severums but some are very black, two are black and 2 are light brownish greenish. I also got 2 more Giant Danios. I am very happy with how this went and thank every one that helped me!

yanyon_29
08-15-2006, 01:01 AM
quick question here. how do you know if you got a male or female? without venting the fish? coz i asked one of my lfs to give me both male and female but he couldnt tell. didnt seem like the helpful type of guy that would sit and take time to give me what i want.

GaryR1984
08-15-2006, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by yanyon_29
quick question here. how do you know if you got a male or female? without venting the fish? coz i asked one of my lfs to give me both male and female but he couldnt tell. didnt seem like the helpful type of guy that would sit and take time to give me what i want.

Thats why he got 4, to get two of them to pair off. a Male and Female will produce a bond due to the tank size and 4 of the specices, so in time they will pair off to defend their tank from the other two, only problem could be if the other ones pair too, but chances of them being 2 males and 2 females are small, but either way you get a pair.

yanyon_29
08-15-2006, 10:42 AM
well i got 4 of them too so i hope a pair will bond in my tank aswell.