PDA

View Full Version : Experiment ... Rocks Vs. Driftwood

LoJack
08-02-2006, 05:04 PM
Well guys I did a little experiment with my american cichlids to see what they prefer and I thought I would share what I learned with you.

I did half of the tank with rocks, and half of the tank filled with driftwood and let it stay that way for about a week. Sure enough, the americans all spent the night, and did all their hiding, under and around the driftwood. It seems as though, there are more advantages than just the lowering of the ph, it seems to me as tho they are more comfortable in a tank filled with driftwood.

balton777
08-02-2006, 05:32 PM
Hey, that's a great idea! I'm really glad you did that experiment because I've often wondered about using rocks. I have parted with quite a few dollars on driftwood in my aquariums and now feel much better about it. I'm thankful to have all you diehard fish fans around to answer my questions that I don't even think to ask. GOOD JOB! :ok:

LoJack
08-02-2006, 05:34 PM
haha yeah I definitely have too much time on my hands when it comes to my fish.

Always pushing off the things that I need to do, in order to play around in my tanks.

luvfish27
10-12-2011, 01:11 PM
thats interesting,I love driftwood in tanks and just did a post in dry/goods.Check out my driftwood I sell.Thanks Rich

Chromedome
10-12-2011, 04:38 PM
Dragging up a five year old thread just to plug your sales post in the advertising forum. A post which sounds suspiciously commercial, in a forum marked NOT for commercial use. I'm not sure if that's a new low, but it's certainly in the running. :mad:

eocsorymmot
11-03-2011, 03:06 PM
Dragging up a five year old thread just to plug your sales post in the advertising forum. A post which sounds suspiciously commercial, in a forum marked NOT for commercial use. I'm not sure if that's a new low, but it's certainly in the running. :mad:

ROFL!!!! I saw this pop up and thought it was a new thread at first!

Mattmean
12-15-2011, 06:31 AM
How do you avoid dirtying of water with the driftwood?

eocsorymmot
12-15-2011, 11:59 AM
This thread is VERY old...

Most driftwood is pretty clean (aside from sand and dust) but what is left on can usually be hosed off. A lot of people say to sandblast driftwood. I collected my driftwood from the local river mid summer. Our river was super high this spring from the snow last winter. There was a ton of driftwood washed up along the shore to choose from.

I didn't sandblast/powerwash mine... some say boil it, but my driftwood was far too big to boil. I took mine outside and blasted it with high pressure air from my compressor, and hit it hard with the water hose. Lastly I soaked it in my tank before I had any fish. I tied it to a brick to keep it under getting it waterlogged again. Mine has never released tannins or chemicals, doesn't effect my water at all as far as I can tell.