PDA

View Full Version : Fish With Black Holes in Side

aharris
05-30-2003, 01:06 PM
OK. I've been keeping an eye on one of my younger fish for about a week. He'd gotten really bloated, adn I was afraid I was going to lose him. He was listless but still eating so I kept giving him a chance.

Then yesterday, I noticed that the bloat was suddenly gone and the fish was eating vigorously and seemed normal.

But, today, I noticed that one side is still slightly swollen adn has two irregular black blotches on it low down behind thepectoral (?) fins almost on his belly. He seems a little more sluggish than he was yesterday but is otherwise fine and eating.

Did his side blow out? I had an expasteratus that got her swim bladder ruptured once and she had a major hole in her side that leaked out food and everything. Surprisingly she survived it. I would have sacrificed her but she was eating like crazy so I thought I'd let her have a go at it.

Is this a lesser version of the same type of thing?

SGypsyMermaid
05-30-2003, 02:01 PM
oh, god..i'd be such a wreck if this were going on in my tank! i've never heard of such a thing.

aharris
05-30-2003, 02:33 PM
It was pretty gross. The fish couldn't float because it had no swim bladder so it sat on the bottom and only swam up to get food for a long time. Eventually, the hole closed over and it got it's flotation back, but it always did have a depression in that side.

I would have isolated and or sacrificed it, but I was afraid that moving it would kill it. Then, I noticed that it had good color and was eating so I let it go.

We called that one the Holey Fish (with obvious puns on Holy and miraculous).