PDA

View Full Version : Healing a wound on a Texas Cichlid

CoQui
10-02-2002, 11:01 AM
Yesterday while I attempted to change out the water my Texas Cichild decided to jump and somehow scraped head. It has a small part of the skin dangling. Not a gash.

My questions are;

1) Can I net him and use Iodine to help heal the wound?

2) what fungus/bacteria infection should I look out for due to the wound?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Coqui

SGypsyMermaid
10-02-2002, 02:15 PM
welcome! :D you can probably prevent infection if you add 1 tbspn of aquarium salt per five gals. it's very important that you dissolve the salt in water before adding it to the tank to prevent osmotic shock. another option is to treat the tank with 'melafix' which is an herbal anti-bacterial preparation which doesn't harm the fish, plants, or the beneficial bacteria.

Chet
10-02-2002, 02:42 PM
Over the weekend my Jag cut her head on a piece of slate in her tank. I did absolutely nothing and she has already healed so that you can barely tell it ever happened. I think adding the aquarium salt would be a good idea, as it will speed up the healing process.

Beaker
10-02-2002, 04:33 PM
I have seen a couple wounds on my fish too. I keep salt in my aquarium and that's the only thing I had put in there to help. I would say if it doesn't look any better within a couple days of the salt I'd probably try to treat the wound directly. With adding the salt though you won't have to net it, which could possibly aggrevate the wound further.