PDA

View Full Version : Jurrasic Park Effect

FishoPhile J
05-27-2003, 11:53 AM
ok, so i had this bright idea that if i kept all females in a tank, there would be no breeding.... i thought that they were all females (with one questionable cereleous) but, i have come to the conclusion that female cichlids (like genetically engineered dinosours) can miraculously change sexes only so they may interbreed and wreak havok on all the other fish. my question is, will a female produce and/or lay eggs if there is no potential mate? and if not, then how would one explain a female convict (the only non african in the tank) defending a batch of eggs that i think she may have later eaten?

Rudy
05-27-2003, 12:18 PM
Many Neotropicals do this. My midas female stops eating and defends her eggs furiously every 4 weeks when she lays them. She then gets (I swear) depressed when they turn into fungus and she has to gobble them up.

fOx
05-27-2003, 12:50 PM
All females can, and will lay eggs. But that doesn't mean the eggs are fertilized. As a result the eggs just sit there. It is the mother's natural instinct to protect her eggs tho. So just because you have all females, doesn't mean you won't have problems with aggression. Getting back to the eggs, have you ever seen a pair of parrot cichlids protecting their brood of eggs? The eggs are sterile (because the fish are man-made) but the fish are genetically programmed to protect their nest... so they do. It's the same thing you are seeing. Even tho the eggs are not fertilized they are still her eggs and thus, she will protect them and wreck everyone else in the tank who comes close.

As a side bar...
Why would you want a tank full of females? (no offense just a question) With most cichlids the females are dull and drab, while it's the males who are the most visually interesting with their bright colours.

fOx

p.s. the other point I just came to is, some males take longer to colour up. As a result they can often be mistaken for females. I had this problem with a Kennyi I bought. I wanted another female and it was blue and about 2" in length so I bought it. Three months later the blue turned yellow. And we all know the rest of the story...

EcoMarine
06-15-2003, 10:33 AM
Its kinda funny, this article in tfh I read not to long ago.. THis guy had 2 Angelfish that were constantly breeding but the eggs never hatched, ever.. Well he found out later that they werent hatching because they were never fertilized.. He Had a prolifc breeding pair of lesbian angelfish lol