PDA

View Full Version : Pwr head questions....

FishoPhile J
05-27-2003, 11:21 AM
forgive me if this is another sand vs. gravel post, but i did afew searches and couldn't find the answers i was looking for... i'm going to be getting a ugf soon, and it seems the concensus is that it's best for the mbuna tank to run them in reverse. i know the penguine 660 has a reverse flow unit (this is the only one i can find like it), but i was wondering if this is necissary. is it possible to just flip it around and plug the output into the ugf? and if so, why would you need a reverse flow switch? i'm thinking of getting the penguine 1140 (big al has it for about the same price as the 660 @ the lfs), but i'd hate to order it and have it be the wrong thing... also, a filter plate is a filter plate right? so how come i see them online for $15, when the lfs sells them for $35-50? (i think this is partially cause i live in san fran, but the price difference shouldn't be that big) any pointers would be welcome.

ps... don't suggest a canister, i already have 2 hot magnums (freebees) that i use for the majority of my filtration.

SGypsyMermaid
05-27-2003, 01:16 PM
a filter plate is a filter plate right? so how come i see them online for $15, when the lfs sells them for $35-50? (i think this is partially cause i live in san fran, but the price difference shouldn't be that big) any pointers would be welcome.

online prices are often considerably cheaper than store prices. less overhead, i think.

jdclarksc
05-27-2003, 03:03 PM
Most lfs do a 300% mark up. At least around here. Alot of internet sites will shoot to undermine that and can afford to because of low overhead like SGypsyMermaid said.

FishoPhile J
05-31-2003, 12:43 PM
ok, so order the equipment... no prob, but now what to order? i found an aquaclear 402 with a reverse flow thats the same price as an 802 (doesn't say whether or not it has a flow switch). but if the're all subersible, it doesn't really need one, huh?

ps..
--saw finding nemo... definately thought it would be better if they were mbunas.

SGypsyMermaid
05-31-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by jdclarksc
Most lfs do a 300% mark up. At least around here. Alot of internet sites will shoot to undermine that and can afford to because of low overhead like SGypsyMermaid said.

sounds like you've got a job that most of us would be interested in hearing about. why not drop by the lounge and introduce yourself. :D

Boilermaker
06-01-2003, 01:43 AM
Fishophile, the 660's are good but I've never used mine in reverse flow, and the 1140 will shoot a stream all the way across a 55g lenthwise, I don't know the aquaclears.