PDA

View Full Version : Used 135

Chet
05-27-2003, 10:39 AM
I got a used 135 last week. It is an old style tank, with metal braced on the outside corners. I cleaned it up and filled it up in the garage. When I got near the top, the tank started leaking down one corner. I removed some water, and it promptly quit leaking. It would seem that the tank has had some silicone work done on it, and at the top in this corner, there is a large glob, which is allowing water to leak behind it. Can this be fixed easily? Also, several of the top trim pieces and the bottom trim pieces are loose. What is the best way to repair that? Thanks.

Rudy
05-27-2003, 11:04 AM
That sucks Chet. That is not a fun thing to come home to. As far as I know you cannot spot fix silicone, unfortuantely the whole thing will have to be redone.

Chet
05-27-2003, 12:49 PM
It's really not that bad. The leak is right at the top, and if I keep the water level about 1" below the trim, it doesn't leak. I was just hoping I could fix that top corner a little better, so I could raise the top level to the trim.

Chet
05-27-2003, 03:15 PM
Anyone else have experience resealing or repairing tanks?

chc
05-27-2003, 03:32 PM
Always better safe than sorry. That small leak may be the first sign of a soon to be total collapse of the seal integrity. I'd re-seal the whole thing.

P.S....... You've got mail...

schmecky
06-27-2003, 09:51 PM
I've repaired small leaks in my 55g before.

At the very least you need to cut away the silicone on the entire seam that you intend to repair.

Chances are if the tank is old (sounds like it is) you would be best to redo the whole thing now. (instead of waiting for the NEXT leak to develop)

My advice is get a razor blade, and some alchohol.
Remove all the old sealant and clean the glass REALLY good with the alchohol to make sure the new sealant bonds well to the glass.

Apply it to the seam and then slide your thumb along the seam to push the sealant into the corner and smooth it out.

Do this on the entire tank, and be liberal in the corners. Let it cure 48 hours at least before adding water.

Here's some good info on thekrib.com:
http://www.thekrib.com/TankHardware/sealant.html#17

Good luck!

matt1066
07-01-2003, 01:35 PM
If it were me, I would get rid of it. I would worry all the time if I were going to return home with 135g and dead fish all over the floor.

Chet, Do you ever sell any KB homes?

Good luck,

Matt