PDA

View Full Version : Brichardi mates

mk_ultra
05-24-2003, 09:35 PM
I am exploring the possibility of setting up a brichadi 30gallon tank. What good tank mates would anyone recommend? ANd for that matter how many bricahrdi should be placed in a tank of that size.

SGypsyMermaid
05-24-2003, 09:53 PM
forget tankmates, from all that i've read--the brichardi will take over the entire tank. the older juveniles help the spawning pair to protect the new fry by fanning out and gradually expanding the brichardi family territory.:twisted:

mk_ultra
05-25-2003, 09:31 AM
So I take it a pair is enough? Are they better harem spawners or as a pair? Also I imagine a synondontis cat would not be a problem also?

SGypsyMermaid
05-25-2003, 09:54 AM
they are pair-bonders...the odd one will be killed. small synos, like petricolas would be a good choice.

mk_ultra
05-25-2003, 11:48 AM
thanks forthe info

matt1066
05-25-2003, 06:27 PM
I had a 30 with a pair of brichardis. In it I also had N. Leleupis and an H fryeri. But that was before I became a Malawi specificidiot.

Yoy could add a 6 pack of Rainbows as dither or target fish. Will explain on a need to know basis. Just let me know. OK?

Regards,

Matt

Boilermaker
05-25-2003, 06:40 PM
I think we all have had diff. experiences with Brichardi, mine were in a 34g and killed everything and anything in the tank.
I've noticed other posts where people have kept harems in larger tanks. And then again when there by themselves they are great tankmates.

jonah
05-25-2003, 07:34 PM
My experience was the male becoming extremely aggressive towards the female. After their first spawning I removed him to my mbuna tank for attitude adjustment. He did pretty well in there, but he mostly stayed out of the others way.

Mine were in a 20g high, so the lack of space might have added to the problem. A 30g would probably be good for a colony starting with a pair.

mk_ultra
05-26-2003, 10:24 AM
The setup I was looking for was something like a pair of Brichardi )if sexable. Otherwise how many you think for them to work it out?) Maybe lelupi but was looking more toward the shell dwellers.

jonah
05-26-2003, 01:01 PM
Neo. brevis were the original tankmates for my brichardi. The brichardi male kept them in their shells all of the time. As soon as I moved them to different tanks, both pairs bred.

tastyfish
05-27-2003, 11:20 AM
I have an extremely prolific pair of Brichardis (4-6 broods/yr.) in a 40g high with the following: pr. Leleupi, pr. Julie Marlieri, Breeding pr. A. Compressiceps, a White Calvus, a syn cat, a butt ugly pleco an Aulonacara and a yelllow lab.
Yes, the breeding male killed his competition as soon as the existing pair spawned. Otherwise, they fiercely defend their "crater" where the actual spawning and fry rearing takes place but have inflicted no other casualties on their tank mates. The syn cat is the prime suspect in the disapparance of 60-80% of each new batch of fry. I would be a little hesitant to add him to your mix! -Good Luck!!

SGypsyMermaid
05-27-2003, 01:08 PM
with a compressiceps, a calvus, and an aulonocara--all of whom are meat-eaters, i can't see how you can lay most of the blame on the pore lil ole syno!

mk_ultra
05-27-2003, 08:53 PM
Not looking for all those fellows. trying to keep it simple. thanks for the info though. ALthough today we got in some beautiful 4"inch Frontosa who almost made me forget about the Brichardi. LOL. Can't imagine them working there. ;)

tastyfish
06-05-2003, 10:57 AM
Gypsy- The 3 you mention show absolutely NO interest in the babies....then again, I have never actually witnessed the Syno ingesting mini fish. But...... he sure is chubby! -Steve

SGypsyMermaid
06-05-2003, 11:58 AM
:rofl: maybe he is the guilty party! most of my synos are extremely greedy and gobble up a lot of food before the other fish can get to it--some of them are always swimming around with pot bellies!