PDA

View Full Version : Pleco poop

matt1066
05-23-2003, 02:33 PM
Hi all,

I have a six inch pleco in with my Malawis. When I do my water changes my siphon does is not quite strong enough to suck out the Pleco droppings. Any ideas folks??

Regards,

Matt:dance:

Glad to be back on this site, had to use the dancing banana!!

angelhf13
05-23-2003, 08:23 PM
I have a 6 inch poop machine as well. Whenever I clean the tank, I get the net out afterwards and just stir up the gravel and scoop the poop out. Also, whenever I see some laying on the gravel, or floating where I can get it, I just get it instead of waiting until its cleaning time. Seems like Im always scoopin poop... (literally, I work in a vet hospital)...but it keeps thing easier when I clean the tank!

matt1066
05-24-2003, 08:12 PM
Yeah, I try to get them as they come, but many of them get away from me. I'll try the net idea.

Thanks.

Matt

Tony
05-25-2003, 04:56 PM
matt1066 : "Any ideas folks??" Yes... I would get rid of the pleco they make more mess then they are worth. Lots of people keep them in there tanks but I do not see the reason? They do the job that any good loach could do,with out the mess! As angelhf13 said "poop machine ". They can grow to a very large size depending on which type. Mine was 12 or 13 inches and he would get chewed, but a few times when he was nipped he would chase full grown cichlids around the tank.He also learned to go to the top of the tank and feed on the food put in for the cichlids. My advice trade the pleco in at your lfs and get clown loaches. Cheers..... Tony.

matt1066
05-25-2003, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the feedback, I find that my pleco is great at keeping the algae off my rocks and glass. It is easier for me to clean-up after the pleco than to scrub my rocks and glass weekly.

I also don't think the clowns would like my water parameters. I have 3 Syn multi's for the left over food so clowns would be a bit redundant in my case.

I also have a mixed Hap tank, not mbuna; so the algae would not be eaten by any of my other inhabitants.

Regards,

Matt

Boilermaker
05-25-2003, 06:27 PM
Matt you might want to reduce the size of your vaccum or hose, which will create more suction, also my outside faucets have a lot more pressure.

matt1066
05-25-2003, 06:33 PM
You know I thought of that, right now I am using a standard siphon and tube attached to a normal garden hose. I do have a python that I use to fill the tank, but if I use the python hose, which is smaller in diameter than the garden hose; wouldnt that weaken the suction? To me logically a larger diameter hose would increase suction power, would it not?

Let me have your thoughts on that if you would.

Thanks,

Matt

Boilermaker
05-25-2003, 06:53 PM
No its just the opposite, when I do the hottub I take the vaccum part right off (diff. python) so it will pick up the sand and dirt on the bottom. I also have a smaller diameter vaccum tube that I attach now and again if the water pressure is real low

matt1066
05-25-2003, 07:17 PM
Good thoughts, I'll try it.

Thanks,

Matt

thmandan22
08-13-2003, 01:09 PM
I use the smallest sized hose i can find it takes out more of the waste and other small debris.