PDA

View Full Version : driftwood &water quality???

surfdude660
05-15-2003, 03:44 PM
I have heard that driftwood decreases water quality. I didnt think it was true, does anybody know FOR SURE? It tints the water, but besides that, is there any harm to using it in a S/C cichlid tank??? thanks in advance for any responses!!!! :D

mk_ultra
05-15-2003, 06:04 PM
Who said this? To my knowledge and the many pieces of literature I've read, it is always recomended. The release tannic, humic and 1 more which name escapes me now, acids. It is great for an S/C tank where fish like the water softer.

chc
05-16-2003, 06:09 PM
SA cichlids like the water softer, but not Centrals. I only use the Malaysian wood and others which sink on their own. Still, I don't generally use much in CA tanks due to the water softening issues. Also, driftwood can contain materials that decompose over time which complicates maintenance. Stick with the Malaysian types.

The color can be handled by changing carbon every week or so until it is eliminated ( a long time in some cases!).

Overawed
05-17-2003, 09:36 AM
I have driftwood in my 90g, its been there for 8 years or more, so I've not had any problems aside from it breaking apart. I've heard that Plecos need the roughage of driftwood to aide in digestion. I have also heard that driftwood lowers the ph a small bit.