PDA

View Full Version : Are crickets good for cichlids to eat?

Tony
05-08-2003, 01:03 AM
I always hear about feeder fish,Frozen food and the various pellets or flake, but never hear of anyone feeding fish crickets. Alot of insects are good for your fish in the wild. Crickets, Grasshoppers, Spiders, Worms.They dont carry the parasites that aquatic feeders do. I feed my fish worms about once a week ( during the summer ). They love it.The worms from are from outside I worry about... bringing into my tank somekind of other chemical and poisoning the fish. Crickets are a pretty cheap feeder alternative as well ( gut loading the crickets also?) .But Are crickets good for feeding cichlids? Thanks..... Tony

chc
05-09-2003, 08:52 AM
It depends on the cichlid species. They would not be good for many of the herbivores like Tropheus. If you fed them to omnivores and carnivores, they could make a good nutrional supplement. Just study the dietary habits of your particular fish in the wild. Other fish, like Arrowanas, almost need crickets when young.

One note about crickets. They can be a handlful to feed. If you have any floating plants or the surface of the water is not quite turbulent, they will almost always escape!

Also, never feed one you find around the house as it may have ingested any variety of pesticides.