PDA

View Full Version : Fast tank setup ?

Tony
05-05-2003, 07:56 PM
I purchased some new cichlids and want to start a new tank fast. I got a 40 gal grow out tank for 5 Pseudotropheus elongates “Chewere”. I cleaned the tank then put in 4 pieces of slate (from another tank) and a new piece of flag stone. Then from a well developed tank, I took 20 or more rocks with some good green algae on them. 5 plants of java fern two handfuls of java moss a piece of bogwood with java moss on it. Also A aqua clear 500 which had been on a previous tank running for 4 months since its last cleaning. Then did water changes from 2, 55 gal cichlid tanks and put this water in filling about two thirds of the tank with the last third coming in as new treated water.

It is now 7 days post purchase of these cichlids they are sharing one third of a divided 55 gal tank with 10 Pseudotropheus Socolofi. I have done 3 water tests on the 40 gal, all come in with good ranges for these cichlids. There have been no changes in water results for 7 days. I am wondering if I have avoided having to wait to cycle this tank for 3 weeks. I have twice had to net one of my Chewere out of the other part of the 55 gal tank, how these guys get across is a mystery. I am now wondering if It should be fine to transfer these 5 Chewere to the new tank? I did not have a spike in Ammonia levels so now I am pondering my choices. Do I wait another 2 weeks or can I trust the water test results and put in the cichlids. With all the water and rocks and filter coming from another tank does any one think I will have problems... if I put the Chewere in now? Thanks..... Tony.

SGypsyMermaid
05-05-2003, 09:43 PM
with all of the established media that you took from your other tanks, you could have put the fish in immediately. if you have been running that tank with no fish at all, some of the bacteria will have died off with no ammonia to feed them. you can't have an ammonia spike if there's nothing in the tank to produce it. check your levels again, but i'd say it's safe to put them in there...just keep a close watch on the water parameters.

Tony
05-07-2003, 10:01 PM
I Still have not put in anything yet. I think I will put in some kind of junk dither fish to put in the help cycle the tank. I mostly put in Rainbow fish, Distichodus sexfasciatus or Giant Danio. To help cycle a new tank. This I also have done in the past and I mostly have stopped because, they allways just turn into food and get chewed up in less then a year or so with most cichlids. They also get stressed and can get ich in a cichlid tank. A waste of time and money I think. Thanks..... Tony.

Aftmorn
05-12-2003, 09:58 AM
Tony,

I have a question for you.

Do you know if you have male and female "chewere", and if so, what are the differences between the two sexes?

I have one "chewere" I think it is a male, due to behavior, but I have not been able to find what the differences are between the sexes of this fish.

Tony
05-12-2003, 07:47 PM
Aftmorn : do not know. Mine are juveniles. Have not Found many sites with info on this type.... Tony.

Jesus Juice
07-20-2008, 11:18 AM
They are monomorphic, but there are some differences.
See:
http://www.malawimayhem.com/articles_elongatus_chewere.shtml

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=861

hope it helps.
Tyler

DogWalker
07-20-2008, 11:43 AM
this thread is over 5 yrs old....

Larry
07-20-2008, 05:47 PM
lol...due for a bump

Jesus Juice
07-21-2008, 05:45 PM
lol, poor eyesight and lack of attention prevail once again. What can you do, mistakes happen.

DogWalker
07-21-2008, 08:10 PM
No prob. Just thought you should know in case the OP doesn't say 'thanks'. :hehe:

Tony
07-30-2008, 10:01 AM
Thanks HA HA Looking back is fun some times!:hehe:

Glaive
07-30-2008, 11:04 AM
Well Tony, it is very rare that an old thread gets attention from the OP when it is drug up from the depths. How did your situation work out back then?