PDA

View Full Version : Hardest working Scavangers?

bleu8
05-01-2003, 11:19 PM
Hi

Could anybody suggest the most effective scavangers for a mixed African mbuna tank

Cheers Bleu

http://community.webshots.com/user/bleu8

fOx
05-02-2003, 08:58 AM
I rely on synos (chinese algea eaters)... although, I am still syphoning out detritus every week....

fOx

SGypsyMermaid
05-02-2003, 06:48 PM
f0x--are you saying that you've got synodontis catfish and chinese algae-eaters?

SGypsyMermaid
05-02-2003, 06:53 PM
bleu8--what do you want the "scavengers" to take care of?--most scavengers eat food that has fallen to the bottom, dead plant material, and dead fish.

ReesaPie
05-03-2003, 02:06 PM
I thought africans would tear up a chinese algea eater?

SGypsyMermaid
05-03-2003, 04:45 PM
i dunno--chinese algae-eaters are pretty mean when they become adults. many people get them to eat algae, but they only eat algae when they are juveniles. siamese algae-eaters are the the best for algae clean-up--but i don't think that they would survive in a mbuna tank...they do best in planted community tanks with tetras, barbs, rasboras, etc.

Mbuniac
05-03-2003, 11:26 PM
Synodontis njasse is is the only catfish endemic to Lake Malawi. Small (approx. 4") as adults they like to be kept in groups of 3-4. They spend more time swimming in the open with the lights one than most synos. They survive mbuna just fine, but are not aggressive. Only problem "$$$" they run about $40-$50 each (fairly mature specimens).
If you can afford them, they are the best. I'm gonna bite the bullet and order 3 from Armke's. LOL
Sam

SGypsyMermaid
05-04-2003, 09:09 AM
the nyasse are the only synos endemic to lake malawi, but many others do quite while in mbuna tanks. the multipunctatus, petricola, nigriventris, ocellifer, aterrimus, and angelicus --all do well in my lake cichlid tanks. there are even some that i haven't identified that are doing well with mbuna.

fOx
05-05-2003, 10:09 AM
No way... I have two chinese Algae eaters in my tank (which is 90%) mbuna and they don't mess with either of the Chinese eaters. In fact I just added one a month ago, which is about an inch, and he is doing fine. I've seen the Mbuna try to rough up my algae eaters before and one of two things happen... either the mbuna gets a sucker in the face, or the algae eater darts off and finds cover (they are too fast even for my Zebra).

I would reccomend them, they don't really eat algae (as has been pointed out above) but they do a great job of keeping the tank free of leftovers.

fOx

DG
05-05-2003, 02:08 PM
I'd say my sucling loach. Probably cos he cant eat the pellets as easily as the pleco's. Since i've had him, i havent ever seen any algae in the tank!

bleu8
05-05-2003, 10:12 PM
Thanks for all the good responses to this thread - with regards to the loaches I have heard and read many horror stories about ick and the clown loach! Are the synodontis catfish as susceptible...

My lfs stocks S. Eupterus - any experience with this one!

Cheers Bleu

DG
05-06-2003, 03:05 AM
I reckon sucking loach are one of the hardiest fish i've had. He was once out of water for at least 5 hours with no ill effects. When he was in my old community tank, i bought some black mollies which gave everyone white spot except the loach.

If i were to flush him down the toilet, he'd set up home in the U bend!!

SGypsyMermaid
05-06-2003, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by bleu8
Thanks for all the good responses to this thread - with regards to the loaches I have heard and read many horror stories about ick and the clown loach! Are the synodontis catfish as susceptible...

My lfs stocks S. Eupterus - any experience with this one!

Cheers Bleu i forgot to include the eupterus in my list...i keep several of those also with both haps and mbunas. i've not had any issues with ick.

Mbuniac
05-08-2003, 01:46 AM
Gypsy,
I have had a Syno contractus for about 1 1/2 yrs. He/she? was about 2" when I got him and he has grown to the mammoth proportion of 2 1/2". He/she's a cute little thing, different shades of brown and reddish brown patches. and I keep him in my quarantine or nursery tanks (I move him/her often). Do you know anything about them? Seems to do a good job in the small tanks and doesn't bother the fry.
Thanks, Sam

SGypsyMermaid
05-08-2003, 08:59 AM
i don't have any info on that particular species...did you check 'planet catfish'?

Mbuniac
05-08-2003, 10:10 PM
No, but I will!
Thanks, Sam

matt1066
05-25-2003, 07:25 PM
DG,

Synodonts are scaleless, just like clown loaches. Syno's are not loaches, they are catfish. I wouldn't not keep a species because of their reputation of being suseptible to ick. If you have good husbandry skills ick should not be a problem.

I would go for the syno's if it is left-over food that is your issue, remember though that synos are crepuscular and nocturnal feeders, so you may need to supplement their diet with a night feed. I use small sinking wafers. Hikari or Tetra are my favorites. I think the Tetra small sinking disks are a bit more balanced as far as protein and such.

Regards,

Matt

Noelemac
05-25-2003, 11:03 PM
I love my syn. Eupterus. I beleive he cleans up the exrta food but I'm not sure about algae as he doesn't stick his lips to the glass and suck. He's still fun to watch at his 6" self. He beats up on the pleco at night though.