PDA

View Full Version : BigAl's and AC500

Chet
09-27-2002, 01:49 PM
Hey, I recieved my first shipment from BigAl's today. I got an AC500, a jar of Purigen, and a huge bottle of Aquasafe for much less than the AC500 alone would have costed at my LFS. I put the AC500 on my 55 and moved my Whisper 2 to my 35, which already has a Penguin 170. I beleive I am now thoroughly overfiltering and I am very happy about it.

I would like some suggestions as to how to use my Purigen. Also, the filter pads for the Penguin 170 clog up to quickly. I tried using batting instead, but it reduces the output of the filter and pushes too much water out the overflow. What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions to improve my filter efficiency and reduce costs?

I am anxious to try the Purigen that Rudy so highly recommeded!

Rudy
09-27-2002, 01:54 PM
Have you checked your impellor chet? If you are getting to much water out of the overflow I would say it is all gunked up in there. Try getting a new sponge, or get some HBH cut your own stuff. It is more porous and will flow the water better

As for the Purigen. I use a panty hose. If I did it again I would spend the money and buy a seachem purigen bag. You can bleach the suckers without destroying them. Basically you never have to take it out.

Oh ya. Yes the Purigen still works awesome in my opinion, but then again I hate carbon.

Chet
09-27-2002, 02:01 PM
My impeller is working fine. On the penguin, there is not a sponge, but rather a prefab filter pad with carbon inside. The carbon wasn't doing anything for me, and the filter pads were clogging up too fast. I cut the pad off the plastic frame and placed batting in front of it instead. Now, the water is not flowing through the batting as I would like and the filter is backing up. I think I'm gonna use the Whisper for mechanical filtration, and just put a purigen bag in the penguin, and then utilize the bio-wheel for biological filtration. The whisper biobags are much cheaper than the penguin filter pads.

Rudy
09-27-2002, 02:34 PM
Maybe I should check the product out before I try to fix the problem :oops:

I would like to change my answer to I don't have a sniff.

Chet
09-27-2002, 02:41 PM
Actually, the sponge might work though. I could leave the plastic frame in there and them cut a piece of sponge to fit in front of it. Then I could hand the purigen in front of that. I had just heard so many people talking about using fabric batting in place of filter pads, but it didn't work very well for me.

Rudy
09-27-2002, 02:44 PM
I only use cotton batting to polish as it gets clogged real quick.

jonah
09-27-2002, 03:38 PM
I've got an old Penguin 300 that I only use poly floss in. It does overflow a little, but not to the point where it's a problem. I just pack it in loose, then put something heavy on the lid to hold it down.

I don't use the old filter frame at all.