PDA

View Full Version : New Cichlids

Boilermaker
04-29-2003, 01:29 AM
Thinned out tanks today, brought 16 adults to the lfs and brought 9 home. I bet they just love me at the lfs. I buy their cichlids, fatten em up and then sell them back for less money :confused:

Anyway I picked up a
Telmatochromis temporalis pair, trio of super orange ocellatus, and 4 Copodachromis yellow princess.

The lfs owner just brought in everything he had been breeding or trying to breed from home.
There are some awesome Tangs in his store right now, alot of Alto's and Tropheus etc...

SGypsyMermaid
04-29-2003, 04:06 AM
can't wait to see the pics!!!

Boilermaker
04-29-2003, 11:39 AM
On the pics, we put in diff. batteries than kodak and now it won't charge on the docking station. I need to get some kodak batteries
What a bunch of crap.

Boilermaker
04-29-2003, 12:51 PM
One more thing S.gypsy the super orange ocellatus would just absolutley blow your mind. I really need a pro like Finz to take shots of these beauties.
I guess there a new German strain?

aharris
04-29-2003, 01:33 PM
OOoooo, sounds like something I'd go crazy for. Hope you get some pics soon.

I'd have some pics if I could get the lighting right and get the fish to sit still. Naturally, I put my tank in the darkest corner of the apartment . . .

Boilermaker
04-29-2003, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by aharris
OOoooo, sounds like something I'd go crazy for. Hope you get some pics soon.

I'd have some pics if I could get the lighting right and get the fish to sit still. Naturally, I put my tank in the darkest corner of the apartment . . .

The darkest corner should be ideal for photos, I only take photos at night with all other lights off except the aquarium lights and sometimes added lighting on the top of the tank.
Try some with flash some without, natural lighting is the best or your flash at the top of the tank to eliminate shadows.
Personally I use flash angled at the tank because I don't have enough natural light.

aharris
04-30-2003, 02:15 PM
I don't have enough light on my tank. My husabnd mentioned that some plants might look nice in it, so maybe I can use that as a means of prying a better lighting system out of our back pockets.:sygypsy:

accesscard18
04-30-2003, 08:44 PM
LOL..thanks everyon1 for ur help..(more than what I expected).. well I purchased 4 yellow labs,,,since it's hard to tell the sex,, I will probably wait.........and seee..... well,,, now I am not worring about them,,but instead I am worring about my GF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOSH! I SHOULD"VE USED SOME TYPE OF PROTECTION!!! I HOPE THAT EVERYTHING IS FINE!!!!!!!!!!!!! How STupid am I!!!!! I am so worry now that I Don't know what to do..

Boilermaker
04-30-2003, 10:42 PM
Huh! :confused:

accesscard18
04-30-2003, 11:54 PM
Oopps,,sorry..wrong forum... I was replying to my forum.... oops...sorry..my bad....lol

tom
05-01-2003, 12:42 AM
Hi access

I'm afraid your thread got hijacked by some folks who no doubt just had an off day, and I closed the topic. Feel free to begin another.

By the way: Given your choice of fish, you're likely to begin caring for a relatively peaceful and attractive community with the Labs. I'd guess that most--if not all--the African cichlid people here either keep or have kept these beautiful fish, so a shortage of sharing firsthand info won't be a problem.

...And now, back to Boilermaker's latest... Waiting for pics of the super orange ocellatus!

Boilermaker
05-01-2003, 10:58 AM
Lol:rofl:
Wondered what happened I just figured Access had too much to drink :party:

On the super orange, had to order batteries this morning online for the Kodak, searched the city last night nobody carries them.

Mbuniac
05-04-2003, 09:27 PM
Just be careful, they'll interbreed. Unless of course they are all male.:D

Boilermaker
05-14-2003, 12:04 AM
Well the super orange aren't so super orange anymore, in fact they are super dead, well two of them anyway.
Damn I had just named them Ozzy & Sharon also, a spin off Finz's Ozzie & Harriet.

SGypsyMermaid
05-14-2003, 04:23 AM
sorry to hear it, BM.

finz
05-14-2003, 10:02 PM
Oh man - what a bummer. I just tuned in and would have loved to see a pic of those orange guys. Any chance of you getting more of them?

Boilermaker
05-18-2003, 12:53 AM
Last time I was at the lfs I didn't notice any Finz, and I would have to move the mealagris since there the ones that stressed them to death.
I was gonna set up the rack of tanks this past week, then I thought of how hot the laundry room gets in the summer time it would be a fish fry. I need a basement.

Boilermaker
05-26-2003, 12:55 AM
Wow! I thought they had all perished, I never did find the smallest one of the three its been over a week and then tonight at feeding time there was the smallest one.
Took some photos check out the attachments, not as orange as when I first got them.

Boilermaker
05-26-2003, 12:57 AM
Here's another!

Tony
05-26-2003, 05:18 AM
Boilermaker : Nice pic. What have you been feeding him?..... Tony.

Boilermaker
05-26-2003, 10:00 AM
Thanks Tony, Latley I've been feeding flake from the auction and HBH veggie flake.

Mbuniac
05-28-2003, 08:40 PM
Boilermaker,
Sorry to hear about your ocellatus. Do you know what happened? I bought my son 2 Juli. ocellatus and 2 J. marlieri to replace his Protomelas taeniolatus that I stole. Is your ocellatus a Juli? Did your remaining one survive?
"Big Red" and I made it back to ca okay, sorry we couldn't touch base this time, hopefully next trip. I'm still trying to recover from listening to the battery powered air pump for 13 hrs.
Sam

Boilermaker
05-31-2003, 12:31 AM
Mbuniac, I haven't heard of the Juli. ocellatus, the one in the photo is still alive. He's a Neolamprologus ocellatus he's yours if you want him. What else can I pawn off on ya Lol.
I've got 300 fry and adults, fry are free.

Mbuniac
05-31-2003, 12:41 AM
300??? Holy Cow! I had never heard of one either. My son found an lfs in Idaho Falls that has an excellent selection of africans. They look very similar to the J. marlieri but the markings remind me of an ocelot (jungle cat). I paid $3.99 ea for the Juli's about 3". So I guess you could say that I paid $16 for a 9" Protomelas taeniolatus! I'm doing strictly Malawi for now, but who knows what I'll do in the future. The fish in the photo looks cool, I've never seen one before. I keep reminding myself that I gotta move all this stuff from ca to Id. in a couple of years.
Later, Sam