PDA

View Full Version : New tank set up ideas

thefishmonger
04-28-2003, 03:42 PM
Hi! ive been off of here for a while (gave up comp for lent lol) and have since my last post obtained books on cichlids as well as doing some research on the species- i now think i have the tank figured out! Lemme know what you think of this...

55gallon aquarium
3/16"sized smooth gravel
Fake plants
LOTS of rock

I will be mixing both Lakes when it comes to species, so far i am thinking of these..

Lamprologus Brichardi
Lamprologus Leleupi
Iodotropheus sprengerae
Labidochromis zebroides
Labidochromis caeruleus
Pseudotropheus lombardoi
Pseudotropheus socolofi

Anyone forsee and problems with this set up???

Peace
Anna

jonah
04-28-2003, 07:40 PM
The lombardoi will get super aggressive with a good chance of killing almost everything else you mentioned. The brichardi will try to take over if they breed, but I don't think they'd be too successful against the mbuna. The Lab species will probably hybridize and the Pseudotropheus species also have a good chance of hybridizing.

The tank set-up itself is a good start though. Sorry if I sound like a downer, but I hate to see people learn the hard (expensive) way when they don't have to.

thefishmonger
04-28-2003, 09:06 PM
No your NOT a downer AT ALL this was my bad... I forgot to mention this will be a male species tank only, i dont want to breed just yet:oops: Sorry for the confusion.

I will drop the lombardoi- no problem, i was also told on AC that he was to agressive.

Thanks for the input!!

Peace
Anna

jonah
04-28-2003, 09:13 PM
If they're all male and you drop the lombardoi, you'd probably be okay. The real trick is sexing several of the fish you mentioned. Brichardi, leleupi and caeruleus will all be tough to sex. I'm not sure about the others, it'll probably depend on how old they are. I haven't kept rusties, zebroides or socolofi before, so I'm not certain what to look for with them. I sexed my caeruleus by figuring out which one never held eggs, and the brichardi and leleupi I figured out by breeding behavior, plus the male brichardi grew really long filaments on the ends of his fins. The female brichardi gets them too, but not as long and she was significantly smaller.

thefishmonger
04-29-2003, 09:02 AM
Good point, it will be difficult to sex them...maybe i'll get lucky and be able to find a source that will sell them seperate lol. But it looks like ive got a bit more reading todo :D

BTW consider the leleupi dropped!

Tony
04-30-2003, 07:55 AM
thefishmonger: Sexing your fish (venting them) is going to be very difficult.Getting cichlids of the same size and age is going to be hard.Then getting more than one of each and giving each a space in this tank is a very tricky thing. I did a all male cichlid tank the levels of aggression are too much.Some cichlids are just made to drive off competition. Over crowding is not the solution this will only add to your problems.There will allways be a bully in the tank. The dispositions and temperament or natural habits are too complex for all these species. The arrangement of the tank what ever layout you choose will be disproproptionate to the number of male cichlids in this tank. If you are really set on a all male cichlid tank be prepared to remove chewed up fish every 2 or 3 weeks, if not... They will get stressed,stop eating and get sick and die.Then you will also have the weaker cichlids who will stay at the surface of your tank.They have been driven off but can not leave the tank.
I put fast dither fish in the tank to cut down on aggression . 4 of the 8 got ich (from stress)... took them out, they were cured then put back in. Then after 3 weeks they started to get picked off one by one. In my opinion this is just not a good type of tank to start. hope this dissuades you from making this choice, or cause you to reconsider for some other kind of tank setup. good luck..... Tony.

thefishmonger
04-30-2003, 06:29 PM
update: im looking at probably dropping the mbuna as well, and maybe adding some peacocks, but i have some reading to do first, so this is not definit yet. I dont mind only having 8 or so fish in the tank either..

About the same size and gender, i THINK liveaquaria.com might be my key, on some of them you can buy them at specific sizes.

Peace
Anna

Tony, i see what you are saying, yet a bit more for me to think over, it may be worth it to do a species tank.