PDA

View Full Version : Returning Algea Problem

WorldNation
04-27-2003, 09:14 PM
ok. my sis has a 20 gal, eclipse, with a seriouse seriouse algea problem. we bought some planets back in Ukraine, and we brought over some really stuborn algea with us. everytime she scrubs it all off it comes back after a couple weeks. its green, not hard, and really fuzzy. none of the chemicals work on it, and the algea keeps on growing on the plants and kills off the planets after a week or 2. anyone have this before? or have any good suggestions? all are welcomed

SGypsyMermaid
04-27-2003, 10:07 PM
how often does she change the water? is the tank getting too much light? what's the bioload--what's in the tank?

WorldNation
04-27-2003, 10:40 PM
not near a window, and the lighting is perfect, not overdone. bio load is fairly los since the tank consists of one 2 in Angel, 1 Black Skirt Tetra, and one Cprydoras. she makes 25% water changes once a month.

SGypsyMermaid
04-28-2003, 04:03 AM
she should get hold of some siamese algae-eaters--they'll do the trick. she might also try doing water changes every two weeks. is she feeding the plants? if so, she should stop. the tank is getting too many nutrients from somewhere.

WorldNation
04-28-2003, 10:00 AM
cooh, thnx.

chc
04-29-2003, 05:40 AM
Algae is the result of one or more of.....

1. Too much light.
2. Too many nutrients.
3. Not enough competition from other plants.

My sense is she is feeding too much. The nutrients are coming from somewhere, and if it were a lighting problem people with Eclipse tanks would be speaking up more than they do. Still, keep the lights on for only about 8 hours and see what happens.

Also, tell her to up the water changes to 25% a week for now.

Do you know if your water supply is high in Nitrates?

WorldNation
04-29-2003, 10:35 AM
lol, when i told her to do 25% water changes a week, she freaked out. lol, she still does it once a month. anyyas, she doesnt use any p[lant food for the tank, but i did giver her a buncha plants out of my tank jsut in case, so her tank looks like a forest right now :) i also took her to my work and got her a gold chinese algea eater. hopefully i'll help out.

chc
04-29-2003, 01:56 PM
How tough could it be to change water on an Eclipse? They only make them so big!

Try a few thousand gallons! Then she'll know what water changes are!

SGypsyMermaid
04-29-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by WorldNation
lol, when i told her to do 25% water changes a week, she freaked out. lol, she still does it once a month. anyyas, she doesnt use any p[lant food for the tank, but i did giver her a buncha plants out of my tank jsut in case, so her tank looks like a forest right now :) i also took her to my work and got her a gold chinese algea eater. hopefully i'll help out.

take back the gold algae-eater...chinese algae-eaters only eat algae as juveniles, and when they grow up, they turn ornery and terrorize the other fish. find some siamese algae-eaters.