PDA

View Full Version : Python Problem

Mbuniac
04-26-2003, 09:03 PM
Help!
Yesterday when I cleaned my tank I noticed that I'm starting to get little bacteria colonies (black) inside my Python hose. I have been using it for several months now and have never noticed this before. Obviously the last function I do is putting fresh water from the faucet thru the hose. Then I drain the hose the usual way (raising one end up and following the length of the hose til it all drains out). The inside of the hose is still wet, but I don't know what I could do about that. Does anyone know of an antibacterial product that would eliminate this problem without leaving any harmful residue in the hose???
Thanks for the help, Sam

Mbuniac
04-27-2003, 08:11 PM
Anyone?

jonah
04-27-2003, 08:49 PM
I just live with the black spots. They don't seem to cause any problems with my fish and the python works as good as ever.

SGypsyMermaid
04-27-2003, 10:08 PM
i think it's just algae--i wouldn't worry about it.

Mbuniac
04-29-2003, 02:46 AM
Thanks folks, I appreciate it.
Sam

chc
04-29-2003, 05:36 AM
You could run a mild bleach solution (10% + water) through the hose (perhaps letting it sit for a few minutes). Make sure to run fresh water through the hose for ten minutes or so after.

WorldNation
04-29-2003, 10:28 AM
i had the same thing when i sitll had a regular vac. but mine was purple...no kidding. actually colored purple :) i sitll have it, evne though i don't use it. it didnt have any effects on my water or fish, so i'm assuming its not harmful.

Boilermaker
04-29-2003, 11:45 AM
I have the same problem Mbuniac, those spots will become bigger and the algae lets loose eventually.
You'll be filling your tank one day and wonder where the hell are those black pieces of algae coming from.

Mbuniac
04-29-2003, 01:34 PM
I'll try plugging up one end and filling the hose with the bleach solution and then rinsing it well. Can't hurt, and it might eliminate it.
Thx, Sam

Boilermaker
04-29-2003, 09:17 PM
That should work Mbuniac and I ought to do the same. I was cleaning tanks today and the last tank I filled there was the black algae again.
I use another python to clean the hottub I took a look at it its crystal clear from all the Bromine running through it.

Mbuniac
04-30-2003, 01:32 PM
Let me know how you make out. I think I'm gonna try the bleach after I change my water this weekend. I'll be going back up to Idaho in a couple of weeks. If I go up or come back on a Saturday I'll let you know and maybe we can get together.
Thanks, Sam

jnorris
04-30-2003, 07:07 PM
Make sure you drain the hoses better. Also if you could put it out in the sun during a warm afternoon it will help.

I dobt it will hurt anything because you usually siphon before you fill and that would take care of the particles....

THe problem I have with the python is I keep breaking the damn things (I have been through 3 so far).,

They are kind of cheap......The connections split ect.

Why can't they make them out of metal or better materials....

Boilermaker
04-30-2003, 11:21 PM
Let me know Sam, Bangerter highway puts you on my door step, and there's two good lfs right nearby.
J.norris I've had to replace the connectors also, in fact whenever I see them on a discount I buy them just so I'll have them.

Mbuniac
05-01-2003, 08:48 PM
Hi J & Boilermaker,
I do drain the hose thoroughly, but putting it out in the sun to dry is not an option in this area. Let me tell you about springtime on the "Mojave Desert". Daytime temperatures are very pleasent this time of year however, the wind on average is 30-40 mph and sometimes considerably higher. About the time the wind lets up (late May, early June) the thermometer hits triple digits and continues to climb. We frequently have 120+ days. Nothing made out of polymer survives outside. Can't wait to get out of here!
I have the same problem with my Python connections. The little inner fitting on the faucet connector with a hex head on it stripped out the first week. I had to put teflon tape on it to make it work and it still leaks like crazy. I think on my next order to thatfishplace.com I'll have to replace it. Oh well, the parts are pretty cheap.
Boilermaker,
when I get up to ID and know for sure what day I'm going back to ca I'll send you a PM. Hope we can work it out, would be nice to meet someone from this neat forum. If not this time, I go back home at least 4-5 times a year.
Take care guys, Sam

fOx
05-02-2003, 09:01 AM
Just a thought... that's the same algae that's inside your tank. In fact, the spores prolly got inside your hose while you were syphoning out water. It doesn't do any real harm in your tank, why would do any harm inside your syphon hose? I would just leave it, unless you hang your python up on the wall to display for all your friends... then I would agree with the bleach idea.

good luck

fOx

Boilermaker
05-02-2003, 11:09 AM
While I 100% agree with you Fox that the algae won't hurt anything, by the time I get to fillin the last couple tanks little flakes of algae are breaking off and going into the tanks I just cleaned. Take a look at photo.
I'm sure Mbuniacs isn't this bad yet this after 10 years.

Boilermaker
05-02-2003, 11:12 AM
Heres another photo look how black this sucker is.

jonah
05-02-2003, 02:54 PM
Dang, mine is about 8 years old and it doesn't look that bad.:jaw:

Mbuniac
05-02-2003, 10:30 PM
fOx,
Doesn't everyone display their Python in the living room? I mean after all, the aquarium is in there! Actually.......I used a 10% bleach solution in the hose this afternoon and the algae is gone. I'm gonna be adding an ultraviolet sterilizer so hopefully algae of any sort will be a thing of the past.
Sam

jnorris
05-03-2003, 09:11 AM
After awhile your tanks algea should drop off. Is it in direct sunlight? That was my problem.

Mbuniac
05-03-2003, 08:06 PM
I actually have very little algae of any kind in my tank. I had a problem with red slime for a while, but I added a media to my canister filters for phosphorous, and that has pretty much gone away. Nothing in anyway related to my aquariums is exposed to direct sunlight.

Boilermaker
05-04-2003, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by jonah
Dang, mine is about 8 years old and it doesn't look that bad.:jaw:

:lol: Thats pretty bad huh, thats Debbie's python and I don't know how long she had it before we met in 92' or 91' can't remember :confused: better not tell her that Lol.

Mbuniac
05-04-2003, 04:25 PM
I can see it all now! "Say Boilermaker, when was it you and Debbie met"? "Was it 91 or 92"? Better be planning something nice for Mother's Day!!!

Rudy
05-05-2003, 03:43 PM
I was just reading this. When this happens to me I just run straight screaming hot water through the hose and drain it. It will kill any bacteria that is there may not entirely get rid of the stuff inside though

Boilermaker
05-06-2003, 12:31 AM
I am planning something nice for Mother's Day Mbuniac. My Fishroom Lol.
Maybe I'll try that first Rudy the hotwater and then the bleach.

chc
05-06-2003, 05:42 AM
The hot water will certainly lessen the bacterial count in the hose, but it will not kill it off completely unles the water is boiling hot and is allowed to stay in the hose for a few minutes.