PDA

View Full Version : im new here

convict_breeder
03-28-2006, 11:45 PM
i have 3 cons in my 10 ( 1 pink 2 black ) i have two 10s one for raiseing the frys with mom and other is for teh frys as they grow up well thats about it and i will be posting alot so ya thats it for now

cichniss
11-30-2006, 11:24 PM
A 10 gallon tank is much too small for cons,especially 3.They would be much more comfortable in a 30,at the least.And may i ask why exactly you decided to post this since i dont see any ?'s involved?Are you new to cons?Need some advice on any care or something?If so then write and ill be more than happy to answer your ?'s.

cichniss
11-30-2006, 11:27 PM
Oops forgot to add i also have 3 cons which i am currently breeding.And may i ask have you raised a batch of fry yet? and if so what became of them?

Heyguy74
12-01-2006, 09:30 AM
Cons are like rabbits, once they start breeding they dont stop. Unfortunatly, If yu donty have a larger fish to feed them too, they are almost impossible to get rid of. Most LFS wont even take them for free. Just be careful, you could end up with a lot of fish and nowhere to get rid of them.

Now as for breeding them congrats. Is this your frst fish that has bred for you? I would get a larger tank for the parents, At full size they'll will be too large for your 10 G tank. A 30 should be good. The female will need someplace to go if they are not ready to breed. <Male can get very aggresive . Good Luck

leck85
12-01-2006, 02:37 PM
You're going to end up with dead convicts sooner or later... 10g is too small for even 1 convict.

Once a pair forms the other fish is as good as dead.

I would get rid of all 3 fish as soon as possible...

This is why we should research fish BEFORE we buy them.

cameron
12-01-2006, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Heyguy74
Cons are like rabbits, once they start breeding they dont stop. Unfortunatly, If yu donty have a larger fish to feed them too, they are almost impossible to get rid of. Most LFS wont even take them for free. Just be careful, you could end up with a lot of fish and nowhere to get rid of them.

Now as for breeding them congrats. Is this your frst fish that has bred for you? I would get a larger tank for the parents, At full size they'll will be too large for your 10 G tank. A 30 should be good. The female will need someplace to go if they are not ready to breed. <Male can get very aggresive . Good Luck

oh ya rabbits i got so desprit trying to get ride of them i let them go in a pond out side of house and now thers milions of them in ther own little fully closed of pond i call it con pond but ya if u need any advice on convicts u can holler my way i breed them for about 2 years so i now a thign or two!!

leck85
12-02-2006, 10:07 PM
^ Not a smart thing to do...

Releasing fish into ponds messes with the native species and often kills them off..

I don't understand why people breed convicts if they have nothing to do with the fry... Not being very responsible! :(

Josh84
12-03-2006, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by cameron
oh ya rabbits i got so desprit trying to get ride of them i let them go in a pond out side of house and now thers milions of them in ther own little fully closed of pond i call it con pond but ya if u need any advice on convicts u can holler my way i breed them for about 2 years so i now a thign or two!!

lol thats awesome, but i hope their wasnt any other fish in there.

convict_breeder
05-10-2010, 11:51 PM
hey its me AGAIN 4 years later!

i have

75 gallon with:
4 firemouths
1 female pink con
1 sev
1 jack

29 with:
pair of convicts ( male pink at 5 inches female black at 2 inches )

20 long with:
a few pink female cons and a black male

Seedy
05-10-2010, 11:54 PM
Welcome Back! I take it you have gained some experience!

convict_breeder
05-10-2010, 11:56 PM
yupp ALOT to! tbh heres a few that i learned ( of many )

male jack D should NOT be in anything lower then a 75

convicts SHOULD NOT have anything below a 29 ( well i have a few in a 20 long but getting rid of them ) heck even a 29 is pushing it!

do NOT get common plecos as there poop machines and grow huge!

alot more but im tired kinda ( well my eyes are but my minds not )

electric-yellow
05-11-2010, 03:20 PM
lol. i breed cons. my lfs will buy some, others i may keep(not pairs lol) and the res probaby food. got some huge fish to feed them to. i had a apair in a 50 breeder and took them out today so the fry can grow on their own now. they actually look like fish now lol.

convict_breeder
07-23-2010, 11:28 PM
well im back and bigger then the last 4 years lol. i have a 125 with 2 oscars 1 firemouth 1 black belt ( getting rid of ) and soon to be a pair of convicts ( the pair is in my 20 long and no egggs yet. hoping not as there bros and sis, hatched them about 3 or 4 months ago. but there mom and dad died ) im in the midst of moving this upcoming week

Peeps
07-28-2010, 06:26 AM
I breed cons, I have a 75 gallon with just cons, a jellybean parrot, JD, GT and a hybrid con, you need a bigger tank. A 10 gallon is WAY to small, they will eventually start killing each other. Please return them or get a bigger tank.