PDA

View Full Version : New show tank is in progess...

jnorris
09-26-2002, 06:29 PM
Well my 90 gallon is holding some happy fish. The water test is looking good and I have started transfering some live plants. THe hardest thing about setting up a new tank is watining for it to mature. Any ideas on how to speed up the process. So far....

I have transfered 10 punds of gravel from my old tank and put back the new gravel.

Did a water change on my old tank and put the water in the new tank.

Put in starter culture.

Transfered most of my old rocks to the new tank.

Any ideas? Miracle wonders?

jonah
09-26-2002, 06:32 PM
I always use media off another tank when I set up a new one. :)

Overawed
09-26-2002, 06:52 PM
Use the cultures with fishless cycling. Just make sure you do not use a de-ammonia type of chlorine treatment. Here's a link: http://www.aaquaria.com/aquamag/cycle2.html

and another:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/faustus/nicoldaquaria/fishless.htm

best
O

jnorris
09-26-2002, 09:39 PM
These methods concern me because I already have fish in the tank. I understand the principal however.

The bad news is a friend of mine gave me some really nice cichlids to put in my tank, I told him to wait but......

I need to test the water every day to watch the cycle and make sure everything is good.

SGypsyMermaid
09-27-2002, 04:27 AM
jnorris--they only suggested fish-less cycling cuz the fish were not mentioned in your post--you should definitely not use it where fish are present. you can, however, use media from an established tank. :D if you really can't wait, and want to add those new fish, you can invest in some ammonia removing filter media which will keep the levels of ammonia down. you should still continue to monitor your ammonia/nitrite levels, and you should be aware that this will slow down the cycle--but it will take care of the instant gratification thing.(now i'm probably gonna get yelled at by the forum members :shock: )

CichlidPete
09-27-2002, 04:54 AM
SGM-Yes it was
Well my 90 gallon is holding some happy fish. :lol:

SGypsyMermaid
09-27-2002, 08:39 AM
:oops: well, maybe they are just as blind as me.

CichlidPete
09-27-2002, 10:51 AM
:D

jonah
09-27-2002, 03:18 PM
I knew he had fish in the tank. He just asked how I'd speed it up. I'd use media out of another tank and he already transferred some gravel.

Fishless cycles are for tree huggers. :wink:

SGypsyMermaid
09-27-2002, 07:01 PM
Fishless cycles are for tree huggers. :wink:

well...not to point fingers, but we already know how OA feels about cats and leeches... :mrgreen: :rofl: :mrgreen:

jnorris
09-28-2002, 07:14 PM
Ok I have a funny story (and I have yet to loose a fish in the new tank) they are happy little buggers. The water is looking good!

A friend of mine gave me some really nice adult fish and I put them in a ziplock bag to take home in the Exploder (Explorer). Well anyway they were on the seat all happy until a gravel truck cut me off and I had to slam on the breaks (hard). The bag exploded with its contents going onto the floor board (fish and all). I pulled over on the side of the road freaking out (thease were a good friend of mines prized fish).

Well anyway I had a extra bag of just water from his tank to put in my new 90 gallon for a buffer. So a scraped them up off of my floor mat and put them in the Xtra bag. I had the feeling that when I got home that they would all be floating, but they are still thriving and seem to be their aggressive little Cichlid selves.

Infact I think a pair have started breeding!

SGypsyMermaid
09-29-2002, 03:34 PM
man! were you ever lucky that you had that extra bag of water!! :o

jnorris
09-29-2002, 09:46 PM
Yup,

I just picked up 80lbs of Tufa rock. I can scrug only so muck in one day. It looks good in the tank however. Its fun to see them taking up in their own little crevices. I did a water test and everything is perfect so far. Nitrates and Ammonia are at 0.

Another few weeks and I can stock it with 10 more.