PDA

View Full Version : How effective is bottled bacteria? (like Stress Zyme, etc.)

fish-eyed-fool
09-26-2002, 03:18 PM
I was reading somewhere that any type of packaged bacteria is a sham. I figured this was true for the powdered kind, but what about the liquid varieties such as Stress Zyme?

Rudy
09-26-2002, 03:30 PM
Jury is still out on that one. I have heard conflicting arguements as well. As soon as the bacteria hits the wrong condiiton of to hot, or two cold it will destroy it and the expensive little bottle is nothing more than stress coat. So when it is shipped or opened it could destroy it. I think it works when it is manufactured, however whether it works when it hits your tank is another story.

Best bacteria is down at the LFS in the filter media, or gravel. Ask them for some. It is cheaper and works better

NyassaeMan
09-26-2002, 04:54 PM
Well I would it is better to get cultured bacteria from your other tanks or like Rudy said talk to your LFS and get some from them. Just make sure that they are using a UV sterilizer. Would'nt want to bring home a disease. :)

jonah
09-26-2002, 06:11 PM
My own feeling is that it's a scam, but I've only been doing this for 8 years so I don't know everything yet. :wink:

I cycle tanks using gravel and media from my other tanks, if you don't have any, just ask around from a fish/aquarium club or friends that are fishkeepers.

On the other hand, I don't think the additives do any real harm either, except to the wallet.

Beaker
09-26-2002, 10:44 PM
Like they said, if you have access to the used media or gravel go with that. If you don't then go with the bottled stuff, it won't hurt. I used Cycle in my 125g, it might have helped a little, but nothing jaw dropping. :jaw: