PDA

View Full Version : Marinland 660 powerhead

bennings89
04-14-2003, 06:23 PM
I have a quick question. I have two 660 powerheads that have always been used to power a biowheel and remained only partially submerged. I would like to use them for surface agitation once my emporer 400 arrives but are they water proof? I assume they are since they are often used with ugf's. Thanks

jonah
04-14-2003, 08:49 PM
Probably, I have 3 different kinds of powerheads in my reef tank and all of them are submersible. I can't remember ever seeing one that has said it wasn't submersible.

merlyn2221
04-15-2003, 11:09 AM
I believe Jonah is correct. If you use them on a UGF they would definately be either submurged or just breaking the surface.

You could always go online to the powerheads manufacturer's website and ask.

matt1066
04-16-2003, 03:29 PM
Beginnings,

I have been using 660's for years, they are totally submersible and actually should be used that way. Partial submersion may wear your impeller assembly down.

Regards,

Matt

merlyn2221
04-16-2003, 04:16 PM
Good point, I never thought of that. That's why mine always need replacement and make noise! :oops:

chc
04-16-2003, 08:49 PM
Just a comment........

You mentioned you're going to use them for surface agitation. The Emperor will do a good job of that. How about directing the flow across the floor of the aquarium to stir up sediment so that the Emperor can better catch it. Place one in each back corner directed toward the center of the tank.

The overall water circulation, and likely the oxygenation, would improve with such a setup as there would not be any stratifying of the water column. Ideally, all the water of the tank is circulated from top to bottom and back again. Often, we arrange things so that mainly the surface layer only is circulated.

bennings89
04-17-2003, 03:22 PM
Thanks everyone!

I just installed the powerhead and I am running it in the corner facing towards the center of the tank and down towards the front bottom at almost a 45 degree angle. It is stirring up the water nicely the fish seem to like all the fine bubble it sprays out, The oscar loves it. I need another suction cup bracket before I can hook up another one.