PDA

View Full Version : Tropheus won't eat!

merlyn2221
04-09-2003, 02:21 PM
My Tropheus "firecracker" hasn't eaten in about 2 days now, and I'm beginning to get worried. :nervous: This is a fish that basically always gobbles what ever food is offered to him.

Here's the scenario: He was in a 20g "holding" tank with 5 other fish for about 2 weeks. His companions were another Tropheus moori "pemba flame" (4 1/2"), 3 L. fuelleborni (2 med. sized males, 1 OB female), 1 A. compressiceps (small), and a small frontosa. He swam and ate heartily there. The day of the move I added an Aulon. "eureka red," and 2 Hap. "mcclear." I had to move the fuelleborni because of aggression towards the male "mcclear" and after that all was well for the few short hours everyone was in there. Once I got the 55g cleaned and set up
I checked water parameters to be sure they were the same as the 20g. They were, so I netted everyone and placed them in their new home.
The only fish of the 28 original in the 55g that I left was my N. venustus. All went well that day; everyone ate and swam around happily. The next day, same thing. The venustus had become the tank terror and was moved out that night because he wouldn't let anyone else eat and had everyone huddled in a corner of the tank. The next evening I noticed the "firecracker" was not eating or coming out of his cave. I had been adding Melafix for the "mcclear's" fins and because the "eureka red" was raggedy when I got him.
The "firecracker" is still not eating, but he does swim around more now, and is still in full color. His feces are whitish and stringy looking, so I'm thinking that he may have a parasite on top of being stressed. I don't want to move him because of the additional stress. He should not have bloat, because the food I am feeding is the same as what he was eating at the place where I got him. It's Ocean Nutrition Cichlid Veggie Formula (35% protein) and New Life Spectrum Cichlid Formula (34% protein). These foods are supplemented with Romaine and Zucchini (blanched and frozen, then thawed before putting them in the tank), maybe once a week.

Water is 0ppm Ammonia, 0ppm Nitrites, 20ppm Nitrates, pH 8.2, temp. 81. I have stopped the Melafix and done a water change and begun a course of Hex-A-Mit for parasites.

What is your opinion of this situation? Please let me know. Thanks!

merlyn2221
04-13-2003, 07:16 PM
My poor tropheus died this morning, after several days of anti-parasitic treatment.

SGypsyMermaid
04-13-2003, 08:12 PM
:(

merlyn2221
04-14-2003, 04:52 PM
I've been having a rash of "angel fish" lately.

Sometimes I wonder why I do this fishkeeping...then I look at the rest of the healthy, happy guys and remember.

SGypsyMermaid
04-14-2003, 05:08 PM
sometimes you just hit a bad patch...hope it's over.