PDA

View Full Version : a new tank in the future

Glaive
04-08-2003, 07:15 PM
Okay so many people have told me that I will need a bigger tank.
I have two options one friend has 100 gallon that has a foot print of something like 12 inches by 48 inches <i'm guessing fairly tall>
Another friend has what I believe to be a 75 gallon tank both will be given to me in trade one for setting up a web server and teh other for helping him move a billiard table.

I do have my reservations about the small foot print.

Current tank 20 gallon long:
1 Sciaenochromis fryeri male
1 peacock male
1 Altolamprologus compressiceps male
2 julidochromis ornatus male & female
1 Synodontis ? not sexed

Given the info I recieved at planet catfish I want to keep the julie's in the 20 with the catfish. These three are cool together currently. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

I want to put the other three in which ever new tank I go with.
I will go with sand or pea gravel as my substrate. I will be working with slate to create rock piles and caves. I am also considering live plants. what I need to know is what kind of filtration should I aim for, and how many fish can I add as well as suggestions. I want a nice contrast in color because I like to put the tank on my web cam for friends and thier kids.

I have a ten gallon set up as a hospital tank in case of probs but so far every one seems fine.

Ty in advance, you guys have really propelled my interest in my fish as well as having helped me out a lot. Many of my friends and coworkers think I am nuts until they see my electric blue.

I almost think i should thank Jonah now because I anticipate his responce already lol.

Overawed
04-09-2003, 09:15 AM
Sounds like a good deal for you Glaive! :dance: That 100does have a very narrow width, are you sure its only 12 inches?

For the 100g, I think 2 canister filters with a few power heads should work out. You may also consider a few Emperor 400s hang on the backs with the power heads for water movement.

I would do the same with the 75g, you may be able to get away with 2 penquin 300s on that one depending on fish load.

I have a 90g with 2 canisters and a 300 Penquin with 2 Rio 1700 power heads on reverse.

I am moving this to equipment so it will get a better response from more knowledgable people than me. :)

jonah
04-09-2003, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Glaive
I have two options one friend has 100 gallon that has a foot print of something like 12 inches by 48 inches <i'm guessing fairly tall>
Another friend has what I believe to be a 75 gallon tank both will be given to me in trade one for setting up a web server and teh other for helping him move a billiard table.

If neither tank is costing you money, why don't you get both?:confused:

The 100g doesn't sound likely to be a 100g. The footprint is the same as a 55g, it would have to be around 40 inches tall to be 100g. That doesn't even sound safe, unless the glass is extra thick.