PDA

View Full Version : Raising my A. comp babies.....

tastyfish
04-07-2003, 12:08 PM
Hi All-

Follwing up from "feeding my A. Comp. babies" from a few weeks ago.

From the original 50 or so, I've now got about a dozen 3/8" long fry. They seem to be doing well, eating 4 -5x/day, growing and looking healthy. I am somewhat concerned with the mortality I have experienced. The parents have spawned again and I would like to move the young before they become very mobile, but I was hoping for some input as far if I should be doing things differently.

Heres what I've been doing: Feed 4-5x/day. Baby brine shrimp, chopped blood worms or crushed flake. They take all these foods readily. I change 25% of the water every 2-3 days and keep the PH in the upper 8's. I vacuum the bottom about once a week to clean the turds and uneaten food. Thats about it. I have not seen any outward signs of trouble in the fry before they bellyup. I'll just find one stiff.

Any input from those with experience will be most appreciated!

Thanks! -Steve

finz
04-08-2003, 10:19 AM
Calvus fry are very sensitive to water conditions. Make sure water changes are carried out with aged, treated water at the same temp as the tank. Check for nitrites and nitrates fequently. Too much of either one will be a problem. Good luck!