PDA

View Full Version : I'm Looking for advice on feeding & compatibility?

EyE Byter
09-24-2002, 09:27 PM
Hi: :D
I'm am new here and I would like to get a hold of an African Cichlid comparison chart or list that tells what is best to feed the many different spiecies of Cichlid from lakes Malawi, Tanganyika, and Victoria. Also, is there a site which has a downloadable list of which species get along with each other best to worst in attitudes? I will be setting up a 150 gallon bowfront display tank and would greatly appriciate the help anyone can give on these topics.
Thanks!
Eye Byter

Scotty
09-25-2002, 07:52 AM
Hey Eye Byter 8) In my experience, most of the compatability info with keeping Africans reside in the brains of hobbyists who've learned by trial and error. Your best bet IMHO is to either post a list of what you want for critique, or pick one or two that you "must have" :wink: and ask for suggestions about what would be compatible with your choices. The fact that you're setting up such a large tank will help you, as that in itself will make some compatability problems less of an issue. As for feeding, you can usually come up with a compromise diet that will allow you to keep almost any combination of feeding styles together. Pick some fish and post back 8)

EyE Byter
09-25-2002, 01:29 PM
:?: I will definitely be acquiring a pair of featherfins Chaitika Cape Color Morph if possible(Cyathopharynx Furcifer), All others are open to working with this pair. I would like to have the following though. One pair each of Haplochromis Quadrimaculatus or Ehli, Haplochromis Venustus, Lamprologus Leleupi, albino psuedotrophius Zebra(a quad group), Julidochromis Regani or Ornatus (pair) and a few Synodontis Angelicus and, one Mastacembelus Moorii eel or Fire eel. I am open to very colorful cichlids if they blend well with other above so if you have suggestions (with pictures) I can gander at them to help decide.
I will have plenty of lava rock caves, crushed coral gravel and overflow filtration plus VHO or Metal Halide lighting to promote algae growth for those that need that food source or lower lighting if I can get away with it.
Tanks for da Hap chap!

jonah
09-25-2002, 07:12 PM
:confused:
I will have plenty of lava rock caves, crushed coral gravel and overflow filtration plus VHO or Metal Halide lighting to promote algae growth for those that need that food source or lower lighting if I can get away with it.
Tanks for da Hap chap!

I put some pc's on my 125g and the algae really took off.

Scotty
09-26-2002, 06:22 AM
Hey all 8) With the size of your tank I think you'll be OK. I've never kept eels in with Africans though, so I'm not sure how that will work out. If it were my tank, I think the Julie species I would pick would be Marleri. They get larger and more agressive than the ones you listed, and might fit in a little better with your mix. If you haven't bought your lights yet, I would take Jonah's advice and get power compacts. They are more efficient and brighter than VHO, and will give you a good algea growth without the expense, heat and electric consumption of metal halides. Post a pic when you get it all set up. I love big tanks :D

EyE Byter
09-26-2002, 09:57 AM
" consumption of metal halides. Post a pic when you get it all set up. I love big tanks"
I will be setting this tank up sometime in the spring after I move into my new place and get bills caught up again so it will be a while but I will put up some pics then. Yes I agree "Size Does Matter" :shock: Thanks for the input!
EyE Byter

Firochromis
10-03-2002, 03:40 PM
EyE Byter,

Here is a compability chart for you. I guess you like it:

http://www.cichlidrecipe.com/cichlidchart/flashchartd.html

Regards,

M_sfan87
10-13-2002, 10:24 AM
Hey thanks for the chart, thats really gonna help me with some future questions...time to go print that sucker!