PDA

View Full Version : Hawaiian sand

Freddy J
04-05-2003, 02:49 AM
I'm traveling in Hawaii and have the opportunity to bring back some really colorfull sand. (black,green,bleach white,rusty orange) Is it possible to condition this sand for a Cichlid tank? Has anyone ever done it ? Aloha

Rudy
04-07-2003, 02:24 PM
I know lots (by lots I mean 4)of people who use beach sand. As long as it is rinsed pretty well I don't see a problem with it.

Rex Karr
04-08-2003, 09:16 PM
Yeah, it should be fine. I think the green sand would be awsome. Very unique.

But you should check the import and export laws. Yeah, sure its part of the US, but they are still strict with some stuff. I'd think it would mostly concern people bringing things to the islands, but you never know.

And be sure to get pictures of your tanks if you ever them setup with the beach sand.

Good luck
Rex

Freddy J
04-08-2003, 09:40 PM
Thanks Rex. It's no problem taking the sand home. I've got about 50 lbs. of the green stuff. It is really unique. I've also acquired a couple very nice large pieces of coral with many great hiding places.
Do you have any idea of how much sand it would take to cover the bottom of a 150? I can make another run to the green sand beach. I know it will be a lot of work but I think the look will be worth it!

Rex Karr
04-09-2003, 06:33 AM
Cover it in a layer how thick? I have only 30 lbs or so in one of my 125g's now. But it doens't cover it well. I used to have 180 lbs of sand in this tank and it was just extremely thick. I would think 50 lbs would be enough, but I would still get more, just in case :)

Freddy J
04-09-2003, 10:54 AM
Rex, have you ever tried to glue a permanent barrier in the bottom of a tank and used two differant substrates? I was thinking about trying it. Sand in about two thirds of the tank with the coral and other neat rocks I've acquired over here. Then a third gravel with driftwood and other rock formations for caves. I realize that it would be impossible to avoid over run between the two but with some carefull attention I think I can pull it off.
Can anyone else give me some input?

Rex Karr
04-15-2003, 07:57 PM
Ooo, sorry I missed this until just now. I think thats a very interesting idea. I've never heard of anyone doing that, and ofcourse it will be difficult to keep everything in its spot, but It would be cool. Large ccihlids could be problematic though, with their constant digging and all.

Good luck