PDA

View Full Version : HOB/under-gravel filter

jchandler50
01-29-2006, 09:09 AM
I have a 30 gal tank, and im running an undergravel filter right now. Since everything i have read suggests that HOB is better, im going to pick up a penguin 350 this evening. Should i leave the undergravel filter running or just disconnect it completly?

RustyNut
01-29-2006, 09:22 AM
Since I seen in your other posts your planning on a 125g tank, I think you may wish to invest in your future and grab an Emperor 400 filter... they are better quality than the Pengiuns and can be re-used later on your 125g when you get that. It is a tad overkill for the 29g but you can never really have too much filtration....

As for the UGF, if your using powerheads on it I would say leave it running.... the water movement even through a bare plate isn't bad, however if your air-powered, I would REMOVE it as it will eventually trap enough debris under it (even disconnected) to cause a serious problem in your tank.

Ray
02-03-2006, 05:49 AM
I use emperor 400 hob filters, and use powerheads to return the water to the pump from the opposite end of the tank as well it serves as a good current maker for the fish.
undergravel from what I have been told turns the bottom of your' tank into a septic tank. not to mention if you run at least 2 inches of gravel everywhere, you end up with alot of your tank taken up with undergravel and gravel. as well some species of cichlid are substrate spawners, the undergravel would make it difficult for them to do this.
in my humble opinion, hob is far better than undergravel.

RustyNut
02-03-2006, 09:29 AM
Just a note... Even with powerheads, the UGF will build up toxic debris, but the stronger current seems to extend the time for that to occur...

Argent
02-03-2006, 12:00 PM
*puts on flame suit*

I have an Emperor 400 on my 25G and my fish love it :)

Plus like Rusty said it's good for upgrading to larger tanks in the future.

$37 at BigAl's online -- so not that big of a budget breaker.

Ray
02-03-2006, 04:23 PM
oh now I am jeal0ous my emperor 400 sells for 80.00 here in chattanooga tenn. looks like i'll be buying online from now on.

jchandler50
02-05-2006, 11:30 PM
online is the way to go, i saw one at pets mart today for $95

Northernblades
02-06-2006, 10:20 PM
never ever ever ever shopt and petsmart, or ... petland. it is aksing to get ripped oprr, dispite how much al's has irrritated me in the last month or 2. only at petland, would you pay 1200 for a mut,
or 1000 for a 40 gallong tank