PDA

View Full Version : Ultraviolet Sterilizer

Mbuniac
04-03-2003, 02:46 AM
I am going to be installing an inline UV sterilizer(next project) that is an adequate size for my tank. My concern is that I have two canister filters and can only install it in one. Will this still work efficiently?
Thanks, Sam

fOx
04-03-2003, 08:17 AM
Assuming the cannister filter is fed water from a well cycled tank... it should. It will just take a little longer for the entire tank to be treated by the UV light...

that's my 0.02 cents worth at least...

fOx

matt1066
04-03-2003, 08:46 PM
Yes:)

Mbuniac
04-03-2003, 10:37 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate your input.
Sam

chc
04-05-2003, 10:06 AM
Keep in mind that it isn't the amount of water flowing through the UV that matters, it's the speed of flow. The water can get moving too fast to be properly treated. Consult the specifications of the model you have purchased for details on its best flow rate, and relate that to the flow rate of your canister. You may have to bleed off some flow (divert it) to get the right performance.

There is a ton of info. on this subject at wetwebmedia.com. Log on and use the search feature.

Mbuniac
04-06-2003, 01:59 AM
The sterilizer that I am considering says that it will handle 350 gph, which is what my canister is rated at. I'll check out the site you listed and see what they have to say.
Thanks, Sam

fOx
04-06-2003, 03:35 PM
Just wanted to point out that Bob Fenner and his crew at WWM ( the site above) are some of the most brilliant aquarium keepers on the net... in all aspects of aquarium keeping, freshwater, saltwater, cichlids, moray eels, octopus, goldfish... you name it!

Anyone who has the time should check out their site and just read the FAQs and articles... these guys really know their stuff.

Johna... this one's for you :dance:

fOx

Mbuniac
04-06-2003, 08:09 PM
Thanks CHC! "What a great site"! I can't believe I have never heard of it before. Lots and lots and lots of good stuff!