PDA

View Full Version : "Welaby" Wood

merlyn2221
04-01-2003, 10:27 AM
I bought a gorgeous stump of this for about $30, but before I put it in my mbuna tank, I would like to know if anyone has used it or even heard of it.

It comes from South Africa and grows in bogs. It has been harvested for carving for thousands of years. (All this according to what I have read online.) Nowhere, however, has anything been mentioned about its effect on pH or water in general.

If anyone has some input, I would appreciate it. Thanks! :)

surfdude660
04-01-2003, 05:35 PM
Most wood lowers pH, i dont know about this woood though??? :confused:

SGypsyMermaid
04-01-2003, 11:40 PM
merlyn, i'm pretty sure that african bogwood lowers ph...do a google search using the keywords: african bogwood ph...and check out what comes up.

chc
04-02-2003, 07:56 AM
Where did you pick it up?

merlyn2221
04-02-2003, 02:38 PM
chc: I got it at the lfs. Asked there and they said it may, but just to add more buffer or use crushed coral in the canister filter to counteract the lowering.

Sounds simple enough, just wanted to see what everyone else thinks.:)

fOx
04-02-2003, 03:36 PM
The only thing I would worry about is the "bouncing" PH effect this will have on your tank until the coral/buffer evens out. IE: you put the wood in and the PH goes down, add the coral/buffer and it spikes back up. Your fish won't like the jumping PH... I would be very careful as to how to add the wood and keep an eye on you PH during the entire process.

good luck

fOx