PDA

View Full Version : I added driftwood.......

surfdude660
03-30-2003, 05:20 PM
I added 2 big pieces of driftwood to my tank today to provide hiding spaces. They were floating, so i put rocks on them. How long will it take for them to become waterlogged, and will they ever stay on the bottom by themselves??? Also, does driftwood raise or lower pH?

jonah
03-30-2003, 05:36 PM
Driftwood lowers pH and it might not ever stay down on it's own. I've got several large pieces (3-4 feet) in one of my tanks that I held down with rocks for 3+ months. Some will stay down on their own, one is semi water logged and stays at mid level and the rest still float at the top.

surfdude660
03-31-2003, 05:06 PM
The driftwood turned the water a yellow tint... Is it harmful to the fish? will it ever go away?

jonah
03-31-2003, 05:13 PM
The tint is tanin from the wood. It should go away eventually, but it'll take time. Water changes and charcoal should help pull some of the color out. I don't even notice tint in any of my tanks now and I have a lot of driftwood in 3 of them.

Oh yeah, the tint is harmless.

Rudy
03-31-2003, 10:29 PM
I use reptile wood.......what the heck is it called again. Bar....

It took about 1 month to become water logged and now stays on the bottom. The yellow tint takes quite a while to go away, but like Jonah says it is harmless and personally I think it looks pretty cool.

surfdude660
04-01-2003, 05:38 PM
Yeh, it makes the tank look more natural. By the way, this is driftwood found in a local state park that i had in my old reptile tank. Two huge pieces about 1.5' long. The fish love it, and i put it in scalding water seeveral times to clean and remove any junk on it. Seems to be working good, i have rocks holding it down as of right now, and this provides about 12 hiding spaces as opposed to 1 that the rock cave i had there did, lol.

chc
04-02-2003, 07:54 AM
It's usually a good idea to soak new driftood in a mild bleach solution beofre using. There are all types of organics and organisms that could do harm to your fish. Make sure to thoroughly rinse the driftwood (soaking again in fresh water; drain and repeat many times; it may also be wise to overdose the water with dechlorinator).

After struggling with the many issues surrounding driftwood, I've converted to a "Malaysian Only" policy. Malaysian and other similar types of driftwood sink on their own and are generally pretty well sterilized when you purchase it. Still, they are very expensive at times.

When waterlogging driftwood, the time it takes varies based on the diameter of the wood. It may take six months or more on some pieces (in a large rubber trash can).