PDA

View Full Version : lighting question

nap83
01-10-2006, 02:09 PM
i can only put one flourescent bulb in the light canopy.

i have power-glo and white crushed coral sand in an african tank and not really too happy with the effect (color-wise) of the fish.

i want something with a blue hue.

can i use acnitic blue lights? is it gonna be too dark? is it enough to sustain their lighting needs? i have african mbuna.

pics could be helpful!!

any insight please!!

djfungus
01-10-2006, 02:27 PM
You can use the actinic bulbs, but they may be too dark for your taste. I use one on my tank, but I also use a regular bulb as well. I use only the actinic at night and it looks great. You can get a bulb thats 50/50, half actinic and half regular. That way you'll get the best of both worlds since you can only use one bulb.

Woops, I just read the mbuna part, I'm not qualified to say if they will live okay with the actinic. I have no experience with mbunas so I'm not sure what their lighting needs are.

RustyNut
01-10-2006, 08:42 PM
Well I think Mbuna look best under 8000k bulbs... 50/50's also work well... a combo is best but if I had to pick one it would be the 8000K bulb

nap83
01-11-2006, 06:35 PM
mine is 18000K, might go with that 50/50 one. somebody told me about it but i didn't listen. i'll look into it.

RustyNut
01-11-2006, 08:01 PM
Remember that the mbuna don't require lighting, it is for YOUR benefit.... so pick something in a spectrum that shows thier colors best. 50/50's tend to make your blue fish look darker and less flourescent, but gives the overall tank an eye pleasing blue water tint.

Try both and see which you prefer!