PDA

View Full Version : Slate Tile

Mbuniac
03-29-2003, 07:23 PM
I was at Home Depot today looking at what they call "slate tile". It has a thin veneer of what looks like slate and the rest is a material that looks sort of like terra cotta. Could I use pieces of this in my tank for decoration without releasing anything harmful into the water or changing the water chemistry? It's a whole bunch cheaper than real slate!
Thanks, Sam

fOx
03-30-2003, 04:30 PM
People use clay pots in their tanks, without problems, all the time! I wouldn't think there would be any problems... but to make sure I would boil the "slate" for about 30 minutes and then make sure its scrubbed down well...

good luck.

fOx

Mbuniac
03-30-2003, 06:01 PM
Thanks Fox. I'm not sure that it's clay, but it sure looks like it. I always boil my rocks before I put them in. I suppose if boiling has no adverse effects on it then it should be okay.
Sam

matt1066
04-02-2003, 08:01 PM
I'd be careful If I WERE YOU. You don't know what could be in those composites.

Regards,

Matt

Glaive
04-02-2003, 08:32 PM
My best guess would be that the adhesive used for the veneer would not be good for the fish unles you can be sure taht it is not water soluable and that it has gassed off.

Remember even silicon requires a minimum 24 hour gas off period.

Mbuniac
04-03-2003, 02:09 AM
Thanks guys, guess I'll bite the bullet and buy some more real slate. I agree with you, but it sure would have saved some dinero.
Sam