PDA

View Full Version : really want convicts

Poet8102
03-27-2003, 06:21 PM
Hey guys,
I have a question and it may be not that smart of one, but hey I am trying not to make a mistake. So here it goes. I have a 90g tank and it's inhabitants are as follows: (2) oscars (4.5''& 5.5''), (2) pictus cats (3.5''), (1) jewel (2.5''), (1) blue acara (2.5''), and (1) tiger pleco (3''). I don't know if it is a lot of fish for the 90 but it seems to work for me now. I do water changes about once every 3-5 days, I have 2 ac 500's and white sand substrate. My question is well I want a breeding pair of cons and I don't want to really mess up the tank with too much aggression and things of that nature. If I can get any help on this subject it will greatly be appreciated. I am also ready to hear any bad news on the tanks present inhabitants so feel free to tell me if I have done something wrong, I would rather find out now before it gets too late. Thanks so much for the help in advance guys.

surfdude660
03-28-2003, 05:24 PM
You have overstocked your tank!!! Not too badly, and with those frequent water changes, you shouldn't have too much of a problem if everybody gets along well. I would say no to the convicts. Buy a 10 gallon tank and breed them in that, it is plenty big enough for a pair, and will be much easier for you and your other fish!!!! ;) :D

finz
03-28-2003, 05:41 PM
20 gallon is the minimum size for convicts. They get up to six inches long when full grown.:dance:

Poet8102
03-29-2003, 09:41 AM
Thanks guys for the help. I actually figured that my tank was overstocked so I was expecting that. But thank anyway.

finz
03-29-2003, 09:45 AM
No problem dude. I have a pair of Cons breeding in a 20H tank, it's really fun to watch them care for the babies. If you have room for another tank, go for it!

Rex Karr
03-29-2003, 08:19 PM
My only concern would be that the Convicts will be extremely aggressive while breeding. I've known them to kill adult Oscars while breeding. That would be my reason for not suggesting it.

surfdude660
03-29-2003, 09:40 PM
I have sucessfully bred convicts in a 10 gallon tank and it is plenty big enough. Just make sure to have a hiding place for each!!! They are really fun!!!!!!!!!! :wink:

Rex Karr
03-30-2003, 07:55 AM
I doubt a 10g would be large enough for an adult pair. Its really not even large enough for an adult male alone. And I really doubt the male would not bother the female in such a small tank. I just had a subadult male kill a small female in 60g of water.